So Whats New in Dayton

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN4CQB, May 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If I had to guess, I would say that the rear panel is identical to the legacy Omni VII. I think the one displayed at Xenia was an Omni VII with a new front panel, it looks exactly the same as the old one except it is flat. I still would like to see some specs and a description of what, if any, performance upgrades it has over the previous version.

2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I know there are folks out there who love TenTec, and I often state that I care more about performance than looks or other bells and whistles that don't improve bottom line performance... But I often thought the TenTec rigs looked like they were designed in the 1978-1982 era. The look hasn't changed in many years, and it looks very dated - even on the "new" stuff, if it's real. If it's a killer performer at an attractive price, I'll overlook it's looks, but it better be way killer and way cheap! :p

And I get some like the looks, and looks are totally subjective. Still ugly. :D

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    W4KVW and KA4DPO like this.
  3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

4. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Like the old commercial that said,I ain't driving no Ugly Truck.Same for me about my truck & my radios. I have to look at them so they can't be Butt Ugly for me & those Ten Tec radios are Butt Ugly. They have managed to make some nice looking amplifiers over the years somehow but it's obvious the same folks did not get involved with designing the radios. The company is far to unstable for me anyway & maybe those Butt Ugly radios are part of the reason? LOL

Clayton
    W4KVW

KA4DPO likes this.
  5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

What I know about Mike is that I tried to buy a dial string for an external analog VFO and Mike literally went off the deep end about the dial strings.

Customer service is as important as other aspects of ham radio. TenTec has had no customer service since mike took over from the last owner.

I seriously don't think he is interested in ham radio. The new TenTec is catering to the corporate customers and amateur radio can just drop dead.

That's my impression; like it or not, my reasons are soundly based on my experiences with TenTec . I am not only talking about the dial string incident. There are several others. If you don't agree that's fine. I own three TenTec radios. I'll not buy another from the present regime.
    John
    K4AGO

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course, let’s keep in mind that Mike did not buy a working company, just the bare bones of what was left after the liquidators had gotten to work. It’s taken him a few years — longer than most of us wanted, I grant you — but the company is back in business.

Let’s also keep in mind that it took years for the company to restock parts, and some old parts cannot be restocked, for a variety of reasons to lengthy to go into.

Ten Tec is not “catering” to corporate customers. It used the profits from those customers to put the Amateur Radio side of the business back together.

But why let the facts get in the way of a good rant, hmmm?

Now, Mike is many things. He’s not a diplomat. He’s not going to kiss your gluteus maximus, he’s not going to blow smoke up your... he’s not going to blow smoke. He will give it to you straight. I’ve seen him do this at Hamvention many times since he bought and resurrected the company. Some people are offended at straight talk. Me, I’d rather be told the truth without the sugar coating. To each their own.

But to say he’s not “interested in ham radio”? Hogwash. Yes, I get it, you feel you had a bad experience, and that’s your impression. So be it. But you’re wrong.

Just wish I had the spare shekels right now for one of the new Omni VII+’s... $2699 is not at all a bad price, but I’m still recovering financially from the job change. Besides, I already have an Omni VII... I think I’ll wait for the new Eagle +, which I believe will be the next rig out the door.

8. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm glad to see that TenTec is back again. :)

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

It takes much more than a radio to make a company great. The old Ten Tec had a culture that favored the ham radio operator. If you had a question there was always a quick and courteous response. When service was needed it was handled promptly and at a fair price. I suppose, to an extent, customers of the old Ten Tec were somewhat spoiled by the attention they received from the company. Yes, that may be difficult to duplicate but it does not mean that something far less is going to win back the Ten Tec faithful.

Have at least 10 TenTec rigs here ranging from the Orion II to the Argonaut V, the Omni VI plus and a number of the old analog rigs. Will they return to status they once held in the hobby? Time will tell.

10. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The "they" part of it is long gone. New ownership, new company. The new 'they' bought a name.

K3XR likes this.