So what is it with eBay sellers and QSL cards these days?

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by W7UUU, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just don't get it.... there's a FLOOD of QSL cards from the distant past on eBay of late.

Lots of them are listed at $9.99 EACH, plus postage!! Others are in groups for $20-$30
    for a bunch. One listing currently has something like 2000 cards for $500!!! Wow...

What am I missing? Why in the HELL would anyone want to buy 2000 old QSL cards
    from some SK estate?

In my entire LIFE I have only ever bought a "used" QSL card - from a ham who lived a
    few doors down from me, but 50 years earlier. Bought it ONLY because I didn't have
    a camera or phone in the antique store to take down the call and address - and
    wanted to have the call/address. We're now local FM repeater friends as a result (same age).

But outside of THAT, what do you suppose these sellers think folks would DO with old QSL's
    that have no purpose whatsoever... two THOUSAND of them no less!!!

Thoughts?

Dave
    WB7AWK

N7ANN likes this.
  2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

You laugh now but when the Zombie Apocalypse hits you'll wish you had those cards! :p

3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd like to score an original W1AW card sent by Hiram himself! That would go for good money!

4. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had boxes, upon boxes, upon boxes of received QSL cards here that really meant nothing to me. So last summer I kept exactly 400 unique cards for posterity sake & brought the rest of the kit 'n caboodle to the local landfill here in the back of a pickup truck.

Pitched out somewhere between 50,000 - 55,000 QSL cards into the landfill.

If you ever sent me your card for one of my various DXpeditions chances are it's in a landfill in western ND..................Sorry. :)

Tom KCØW

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just curious why you didn't hit the paper recycle bin instead.... :confused:

:)

Dave
    WB7AWK

6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I've managed over the last few years to glom onto a few QSL cards sent by the original W3WN. In the course of doing so, I've also come across cards from the original holders of calls now held by friends of mine (for example, the original W3DMB) and been very happy to pass them on.

I've also been keeping my eyes open for cards from my college club station & it's predecessors.

A little bit of nostalgia and history doesn't hurt.

That said... there are people who think there's big money to be made on eBay in used postal cards, of which radio cards (CB, SWL & Amateur) are a large part. Outside of, shall we say, specialty items like those mentioned... they're probably out of luck, unless they find another dealer to sucker into buying them out.

7. AB8MA

AB8MA Ham Member QRZ Page

Or a nearby elementary school.

8. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Paper recycle bin"? :confused:

Ummmmmm. We don't have ANY kind of recycling bins where I live.

No use saving paper, plastic, aluminum cans and whatever else and wheeling it all down to the curb in those fancy containers like they do in "advanced" cities.

Minuscule unemployment.............................Check.
    Nations 2nd leading oil producing state.........Check.
    Birth state of Lawrence Welk.........................Check
    Recycling program (where I live)...................Nope.

Tom KCØW

9. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Found a QSL from an old Elmer named Elmer. It was worth it to hold it in my hand.

10. W4KTL

W4KTL Ham Member QRZ Page

Stamps,coins,matchbooks,antiques, you name it....there are people that have plenty of different collecting hobbies. Don't see any harm in it and if it keeps a bit of ham history alive I can see a whole lot of good in it. Different strokes for different folks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.