So this is why I'm finally canning 'hotmail' after all these years.

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA3LKN, Oct 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a outlook.com account that I just grabbed for the name. I've published it here before and will again as an experiment kt1f@outlook.com

I just checked it and the only thing in the inbox is a few things that I know I signed up for. Mostly StackOverflow.

2. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have at least 4 or 5 work e-mail addresses and wouldn't use them for anything else other than work. They make it very clear that they have full access to your work e-mail. And along those lines, every place I work has a key logger too. So I would recommend NEVER using work e-mails for anything else or surfing the internet from work. In fact, for every one of my co-workers, I have their non-work e-mail address even for work related items I don't want 'administration' to see.

They can theoretically read every mail I send from a work-owned computer, even using a non-work e-mail account so I use my phone on the non-WIFI setting if I have to send an e-mail during the day.

And I don't think the privacy issues on g-mail are any worse than hotmail, which made it clear years ago they could read my e-mails and target products to me based on the e-mail messages.

3. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never thought about spam, I use Thunderbird on Virgin Media.... seems all my spam go's to my Virgin Email app which I never use while my Thunderbird app is 'squeaky clean'.

Dave

4. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

You are welcome my friend. I learned the hard way too some time ago which is somewhat embarrassing because I work in Telecom and should have known better. That was back in Earthlink dial-up days using tins cans and string. Today, if all that is needed is an email address without verification I just make it up like DopeFromHope@hack.com or 1600 Pennsylvania WDC. If they verify by sending an email you have to respond to, send it to your Hotmail account.

Too late to help folks with cell phones as all numbers have been compromised , so changing numbers is not likely to help much. I knew that from the get go because I am in the biz. I never ever give out my cell number unless I am certain who it is and trust. Never ever answer my phone unless I am absolutely sure who it is. Do not send your ANI, you can turn that off in your cell and some you can tell it to block ANI on all unknown numbers, but sends ANI when you call someone on your contact list. If someone has something important or really wants to talk to me can leave a message.

May sound over the top never answering the phone unless you know who it is. But know this: There are thousands of robots that call residential and cell phones to verify it is a working number. They either sell your number as verified or a company robot verifying it is a legit number, than sometime later you get a call from sales or whatever scam they are running. Once a marketer has you number, game over as it will be sold and shared.

You can always get a new and clean email address. Cells phones you are pretty much screwed. There are no new numbers spammers do not know about. So technically advanced they can make it look like they are your neighbor when in fact they are Chi-Coms or Ruskies.

While I am at it use a VPN and use DuckDuckGo as your internet search engine. Use Google, Bing or the like and you are being watched and tracked. Ever wonder how those adds pop up and by some miracle was what you were looking for yesterday.

5. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course you can also discontinue paying for anything with a credit card too, as every transaction is sliced and diced bought and sold.

Not much to do about facial recognition unless you get plastic surgery every few years.

6. WQ6N

WQ6N XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I fully agree with keeping the Hotmail account active. One can configure hotmail only to allow what is in your contact list and the rest goes directly to the spam (null) bucket. The spam will be auto dumped every 30 days.
    There are a number of other active filter engines that remove spam, block ads, and as well whole regions.
    I use pfsense firewall, pfblockerNG and snort. Its all free, but I do pay annually for the Snort signature support and I-Blocklist for dynamic block lists.
    For those with a Linux background, its hard to beat Postfix MTA with Amavisd-new for the filter engines.
    As always the weakest link in any boundary defense is the human behind that boundary.