So this is why I'm finally canning 'hotmail' after all these years.

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA3LKN, Oct 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly why I dumped hotmail. I fail to see why they need all of my personal info to feed spam to me.

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

One of my relatives has hotmail (aka msn, aka outlook) and once in a while I need to help him with something. I'm always amazed at the crummy service and poor filtering. He's unwilling to change though.

My wife and I have had Gmail accounts for many years. Their spam filters are wonderful. We almost never see any spam, and seldom is a legitimate email misrouted to the spam folder, though it does happen once in a while.

Of course there's no free lunch, and the trade off is that Google reads everything to try to target advertising at us. But I have that turned off or down as much as possible using the privacy options they provide for email and searching. Still, who knows what Google is really doing behind the scenes - but that applies to almost every service nowadays, sadly.

Since our home computing is Apple centric now, I've considered going to iCloud mail, but I'm not sure how well their spam filters work. Privacy is likely to be better since their business model doesn't depend upon personal information. Again no free lunch, and the tradeoff is you pay more for their hardware and services like cloud storage.

3. KE8FGB

KE8FGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate Google and almost everything they do past the point that people understand me, but Gmail and Google Maps are the last services I'd give up of theirs. I honestly can't say I've ever seen a spam message more than once, and even then it was already sent to the Spam filter.

That said, I don't use my email a *whole* lot, I probably get two actual important messages a week. My scout troop's messages are routed into a folder, and emails from colleges are filtered into their own folder. Once or twice a month I'll see some unfortunate college get their email message routed into the Spam folder, but I don't pay too much attention to those emails anyways (plus it's kinda funny).

I've been interested for a while in potentially hosting my own email server in the future if I get the money to buy server equipment and have a home internet connection with a static public IP. It would be interesting to see if there's more or less spam than what hits my gmail.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you use Facebook ?

Seems that Facebook users send out emails to everyone in their address book. And many times they do not even know it.

The best thing to do is to get a gmail account, And do not give the address to anyone that is on Facebook.

I get Zero Spam to my Gmail address. Not using Facebook helps a lot too.

Good Luck.

5. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

No Facebook or any other social media.

This forum is about as close as I get to social media.

AF9US likes this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess you are correct.

My QRZ email address gets spam. I never gave the address out to anyone.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I use only corporate e-mail addresses and get very, very little spam.

What I do get is my own fault for signing up with various organizations and charities...once you do that, you're on their list soliciting more donations. It is possible to "opt out" of most of these, but then you don't get any more information about what they're doing, either, so it's not really a win.

I get e-mails daily with the subject line "I'M NOT ASKING FOR MONEY..." then you open it to find that's exactly what they're doing.:p

Thankfully the DELETE function works fine.:)

8. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Unless they (the email provider) is the one putting the spam in your spam box. (I mean getting paid to add spam to your email account) The main culprit for getting spam is usually who, where, and how your email address is shared.

Many times, the companies you give your email address too. They are the ones who sell it to the rest of spam nation. This is why I have a person email address, a radio email address, and an email address I do all my websites with. (the email I provide for forums / web shops, etc)

I only provide my personal email address to friends and family. I get virtual zero spam on that email address. I get the most on the one I use for websites because as I said. That is who is selling your email account. That and if you openly post your email address on some forum. Spammer scrape forums and stuff for email addresses. I try to protect mine as if it was my credit card / social security card.

Most of the time, spam is the direct effect of the previous actions of the email address owner. Your hostility is likely misdirected.

9. W4MAJ

W4MAJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Now that's something I haven't thought of in a long time.

My work email address is flooded with spam emails. It takes a few minutes each workday morning to filter through the stuff.

10. AF9US

AF9US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The email address strategy I've built-up over the years, employs multiple email addresses:

• One email address for friends and family, DO NOT PUT THIS EMAIL ADDRESS ON ANY WEB PAGE!!!
    • One email address for ham radio email, DO NOT PUT THIS EMAIL ADDRESS ON ANY WEB PAGE not directly related to ham radio, e.g. QRZed.com, ARRL.org, ICOM America.com, Yaesu.com, and others.
    • One email address for work, DO NOT GIVE to friends, family and ham radio operators.
    • One email address for SPAM, use for ANY web site I might like; when I trust the site(they don't SPAM!), I'll change the SPAM email address to my ham radio email address.
    • Take advantage of redirector email services, such as ARRL.org -- YourEmailAddress@ARRL.org for example. The email redirector sites may employ SPAM filters, which may trash emails from known SPAMMERS.
    Even this procedure doesn't guarantee: NO SPAM. It does help to greatly reduce SPAM email.

Absolutely NO Social Media accounts, I gave up social media a long time ago. Social Media has been a SOCIAL DISEASE for with no sign of recovery.

One cost for this procedure is setting-up email accounts for all the email addresses, ultimately you become good at managing email accounts.

I recommend Gmail, Yahoo, and other web mail services for SPAM email address. Give them the cost of handling your SPAM email - servers, electrical power to run the servers, administrators to handle the email service, etc.

Hopefully your workplace will supply you with a work email address.

Most likely your home Internet Service Provider, e.g. Xfinity, Comcast, AT&T, and many others, offer no or low-charge email accounts (meaning the cost of the email account is part of the monthly Internet service fee.)

In summary, I prefer to handle legitimate emails and let others handle SPAM.

Regards,
    Bernie, AF9US