ad: HamHats-1

So Many SKs

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K8ERV, Feb 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Has anyone noticed the big jump in listed SKs?

I sure wish these guys would space it out so the news would not be so depressing.

I'm going to so sked my death.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I mentioned this to my roommate yesterday.
    This morning we were talking about passwords and such and I remarked to my roommate she will end up with my QRZ password so she could post my obituary when the day comes.
    I'll have to write it though.

3. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Yes! I find it Very depressing.

Have you ever passed along a NTS Traffic Message to a SK's Widow? :confused:

I have more than once, and then started looking on QRZ to see if someones callsign was listed as SK, before calling them.

Even after looking to see if the person was SK, there were Several times when the person I tried to call was dead,
    and not listed as Silent Key. :(

How many Hams think to list their fellow Amateurs as SK?

Sorry I can't do this seven days a week, and yes I have missed some people too.

73 K2HAT

4. KM4MA

KM4MA Ham Member QRZ Page

Lee, while it makes sense to list a fellow amateur as SK...it's not always an easy choice for some of us, right? Some amateurs don't want to announce their buddy's passing, if it will easily enable others to initiate an FCC letter cancelling it, leaving only two years before it's up for grabs. Others don't ever want their 'old' friend's callsign adopted by another operator. And, some amateurs would prefer that their old friend's callsign remain valid for the full 10 years (undetected) after their fellow amateur paid for their last renewal.

The idea of sharing a fellow amateurs obituary that would enable another ham to get that callsign can be a tough call. And, though a forum post does not require an obituary, the SK becomes public knowlege for those seeking their initials on a vanity callsign, or otherwise wanting calls not currently available for a vanity application!

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I better check to see if I'm listed.

6. KB9AMM

KB9AMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Silent Keys has become more and more of a realization of one's own mortality. I've lost a great number of friends in the past couple of years, and as it was explained too me, I'm going to loose quite a few more. When you go to a Ham gathering, take a look around at the licensed individuals, .... How old is the youngest one at your gathering? I'm pretty sure that you'll find that there is very few younger folks involved in the hobby. A lot of the older folks are usually always ready to lend a hand to the younger, newer hams. I'm sure it's happened to just about every one of us. I've had a few "Elmers" in my time, and have looked up to them. Today, just about all of them have left us. I had one person in particular, ask me, to list his name and call sign, so his "friends from afar" knew that he was in a better place, and not moved to a place where he could not use his radios. Out of respect for my fellow hams, I try to report on the SK's so that there other friends will know.

Yes, there have been a lot of listings lately, but I'd rather read about it here, than think my friends just gave up radio, and don't want to talk anymore.

In closing, you might want to Google the story about "1000 marbles" time is short, enjoy what we have!

73'

Scott

7. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If ya have hopes of being 'around' in another (eternal) life... wat call-sign would ya want???...

8. W5BIB

That query was in bad taste. sorry... but,... ifen ya went to Heaven,... would ya want a dipole or vertical?

9. W5BIB

LORD,... I'm sorry...:( ....please erase my last post... :eek: ... amen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.