So I Bought A Swan 350

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by AF6LJ, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB1WSY

KB1WSY Ham Member QRZ Page

Great thread. A master class in radio electronics.

2. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So, Sue, I do see a Swan in my future. If through limited space on the radio bench you had to pick one Swan transceiver, which one would you like to have?
    chris

3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a pair of 6BN8s off E-Bay they arrived this morning.
    The 6BN8 is used as the AGC amplifier and detector in the Swan-350.
    The new old stock tube was installed int he radio and the annoying audio distortion went away.
    The AGC is a little fast on the decay, and I think I will change the AGC filter / time constant cap to a value that is about 25-40% larger. It is a Mylar cap so I don't think it is leaky, although it could be.
    That change will happen sometime after the first of the year, for now I can button this up and call it done.

I just love how quiet the receiver is. :)

Keep your eyes on the So I Bought A Swan 500CX thread.

4. AF6LJ

Thank You Pat. :)

5. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good !! I'm ready to read about the 500CX. :)

The 350 thread was very interesting.

6. W9ALD

W9ALD Ham Member QRZ Page

Being the owner of a Swan 350 that has not been on the air for a number of years, I find this has been a good tutorial of what I need to look for before getting the old thing back up and running. I just finished reading all 13 pages and I can't believe I missed this thread until tonight. Nice work all.

Bill

7. AF6LJ

Thanks Bill..
    The radio works great I'll be starting on a Swan 500CX project in a week...
    I do this stuff as I have found that it gives people an idea what is in store for them when they tackle a project like this. Also there are people who just seem to enjoy threads like this, I enjoy doing them when I get new gear.

8. KD7WRC

KD7WRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I found this thread looking for this External VFO connector. I just bought a Swan DD-76 that I would like to hook up to my dad's old Swan 350. The Swan doesn't have the VFO connector, but it does have a knockout for it. The digital dial came with what appears to be a Amphenol 86 CP9 connector, but there was no housing and the wires broke. I would like to replace the plug on the digital dial, and add a socket to the radio, I'm just not sure what to use or where to get it.

9. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

That needs a gajillion exclamation points! That might be the No. 1 reason for anyone who's never used a hollow state rig to do so, or at least a non-synthesized radio. It a revelation as to how "less than optimum sounding" modern radios can be.

Enjoy, Sue!

10. AF6LJ

Exactly, although some modern radios are worse than others.
    I'll be putting some time on the Swans on the TDN in just over a week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.