Slightly OT: Saudi Radio on FM in the UK via 2-hop Sporadic E?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by NICKG, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. NICKG

NICKG QRZ Member

Hi all. I wonder if any of our members in Saudi Arabia or neighbouring countries can help me with this?

On Thursday 24th June at 1628 UTC (7.28 pm Saudi time) I received a radio station on 88.6 MHz with what is almost certainly a live outside broadcast of sunset prayers from the Great Mosque in Mecca. The recording is available here:

http://www.box.net/shared/k4lskstb8n

The relevant station is on the first minute or so of the recording. It's been suggested as originating from Saudi Radio but I'd like some opinions on it if possible please. DX Sherlock was showing paths from southern UK to Cyprus via 2Es on 4 metres at the time. FMLIST shows a 100 kW transmitter at Qurrayat right by the Jordanian border, but there is no mention of this tx on Saudi Radio's website. This is the nearest site I can find, and the distance from here is 3857 km. It seems there is some confusion on sites depending on which list is consulted.

The Arab station gets replaced by a Hungarian, then 2 more Middle Easterns briefly appear, one playing traditional Arabic orchestral music with a YL vocalist and another playing Arab pop. These stations are probably from Jordan or Syria.

At 1703z I had Israel on 87.6 (IBA 88FM) probably from Jerusalem, distance 3660 km.

I have sent a letter to the Saudi Ministry of Culture & Information and am hoping to hear back from them, but I thought I'd also post the details on here in case someone knows more.

I'd like to get this one verified as it could very well be the first time that Saudi Arabia has ever been received in the UK on FM.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Regards,
    Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire, UK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.