ad: MyAnt-1

slash after call sign

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K7MHI, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K7MHI

K7MHI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok so I have researched on line, a few ARRL books I have around as well as some other resources. I am stuck

is there any list of how to use. or all of the uses of slash call sign uses?

I know for canada they have some for what area they are in
    I have seen in USA where people /6/7/8 etc for the area they are mobile in
    I know /p is portable
    /QRP is LP

what are the others, I'm sure I will hear what is "allowed by FCC and ARRL law" but I would also like some replies on common day use as well. For example If I go to Hawaii and bring a radio /P seems rather boring. what do I add in that case?

What if I am away from home somewhere of significance like a storm site for emergency help.

Or what if I am at some significant landmark?

I have seen all these uses on the air in different uses. Is there a list anywhere?

and please I would like best practice as well as common practice answers.
  2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, basically, it IS "anything goes," as long as it does not or can not be confused with the designator for any other "official" designator or that assigned to another country.
    For example, the "/140" is currently used to commemorate the anniversary of Hiram Percy Maxim's birthday, and used by the ARRL for a "special event" competition. But anyone else could use "/140" if they wish; there are no other specific limitations. (Common sense, however, should be used when selecting a designator; /B is used for beacon stations, /r is assigned to repeaters, and a better question might be to ask what designators are already commonly in use, aside from those already assigned to foreign countries, to prevent inadvertently using a designator already considered accepted by common practice and poswsibly in violation of FCC regulations.)
  3. NS8N

NS8N Ham Member QRZ Page

I've heard "/mm" (maritime mobile) used quite frequently. Additionally, you may hear US amateurs who have recently upgraded sign with:

/AE (Temporary amateur extra)
    /AG (Temporary general)

...until their new class shows in the FCC database.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  4. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was gonna post that /LP is a type of gas because I thought I couldn't resist the temptation to make a joke.........Then I was a stupid joke anyway and if it were not somebody would have beat me to it.

I decided to post my struggle because really....I just couldn't resist....I have no control...The humorous replies just jump out of me and must be shared....because I am incapable of resiting. :D
    W4JIC likes this.
  5. K7GQ

K7GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

While there are some (what I consider to be) silly uses of the slash, I find these helpful, if not required:

K7MHI/1 ---- you're in CT - helpful to others to point their antenna
    K7MHI/KH6 - I consider this "required" - a different country
    K7MHI/m --- mobile
    K7MHI/mm - maritime mobile (on the ocean, not lake)
    K7MHI/p ---- indicating portable operation
    F/K7MHI/P -- required when operating in a CEPT country such as France
  6. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

The slash is a call sign "modifier." It modifies the call sign to fit the operating conditions at the moment. /M means mobile, though it is rarely used except on CW. /6 means portable operating in the 6th call area. /MM means maritime mobile, which means operating OUTSIDE territorial waters. /P means QRP, though I have rarely heard that. I usually hear /QRP.

In other words, if the call sign needs something to explain the special operating of the moment, that is designated by a slash. The FCC did away with the requirement years ago, though, so it really isn't necessary, except in the temporary license authorization, such as /AG or /AE.

International rules, though, still require the /MM for maritime mobile. And /AM for aeronautical mobile. But be aware those designations apply ONLY outside territorial water or air space, and are not valid over any nation. Not against the FCC rules, but they do not conform to ITU rules unless used in in international water or air space.

IN other words the use of /MM while operating on your local lake is not the correct usage. That would be "marine mobile".

Incidentally, if truly operating maritime mobile, you are required by international rules to give your location in latitude and longitude at least once during the communication.

Have fun

7. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can easily overdo it, however. Years ago, I was mobile in Anchorage on 2 meter SSB, and in those days, anyway, there was quite a crowd on there. I kept ID'ing as 'N6FFstroke KL7'. Eventually, one of the locals said "where else would you be?". I dropped the KL7 bit until I got over the border to the Yukon, where I had to use the /VY1 designator again.
  8. K7MHI

K7MHI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

thanks for the feedback on the matter!
  9. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

In South Africa, I signed ZS2/N3XP

If you are air mobile can sign as /AM
  10. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Portable or mobile

For portable operation, away from your home location, in US territory, we always (at least for my 48 years of hamming) have used
    the "/" and the number of the geographical area we are in. The use of "/P" is new on the scene, to me.
    If you vacation in Hawaii, use "K7MHI/KH6".
    If I ws operating temporarily in Chicago I am "K8JD/9"
    By-the-way there is no "ARRL law " !!!
  11. K0CMH

K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

What is Marine Mobile (inland waterways, lakes and rivers)?

I hear more people using "/P" for portable.

If my license is issued to an address in the 0 area, I am in a boat on a lake in Oklahoma, woriking a QRP rig, would I be "k0cmh/5mmqrp"?
  12. NI7I

NI7I Ham Member QRZ Page

This is interesting. If you are on a US flagged vessel in international waters, you operate under the US regulations. You are no more bound by ITU r\regulations than the US code of federal regulations. I don’t recall seeing anything in part 97 about identifying by QTH while maritime mobile. For over 30 years I operated on the high seas and gave my qth but only as a courtesy. Wonder if you could tell me where I could find that regulation in part 97 of the CFR?

When you are operating in some other countries waters, of course you must comply with their regulations/licensing requirements. This includes operating from a foreign flagged vessel.

13. KC2TEN

KC2TEN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Recently, I was KC2TEN/KH9/QRP/P That made for some looooong messages on PSK, believe me.

I've also gone /AM a few times, too.
  14. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't believe you would find international regulations in Part 97 of the FCC rules.

But I freely admit this is something I have heard quite a few times. I will have to try to research it and see if it is really true. If not, I readily stand corrected! But it won't be in Part 97.

I shall see what I can find!

15. NI7I

NI7I Ham Member QRZ Page

The thing is Ed, on a US flagged vessel, you follow the regulations of the FCC, Not the ITU. Unless you are in another countries territorial waters, you are bound by part 97 of the CFR.

16. N4CD

N4CD Ham Member QRZ Page

slah xyx

In many state QSO parties, mobiles will identify as N4CD/SAJ - for mobile in San Juan County (CO),or similar. That is to let the folks chasing the mobiles in the QSO Party that they are in a different county than the last time they worked them.

/m is often used to designate mobile.

In the upcoming ARK QSO Party, you might hear mobiles using the 3 letter county abbreviations, such as N4CD/LEE - for Lee county AR.

For special events, you'll have N4CD/100 or W1AW/7 and similar to designate operation from an event or in an event.

You can use basically anything after your call as long as it is not a country identifier, or other thing like /SOS. Country indenfiers require a alpha/nueric combination, such as G4, DL3, 6Y5, or similar.

Back in the 50s and 60s and even 70s if I remember right, you HAD to notify the FCC if you were going portable for more than 24 hours, and sign /call area. If you were WB2KQL and went off for a week vacation in Maine, you would have had to sign WB2KQL/1, and send in notification to the FCC Engineer in Charge for your area that you were operating portable, and where and how they could contact you. I'm not sure when that was dropped, but it sure made life easier.

Heck, back in the early 1950s,the only band you could operate mobile on was 10meters and above - then that changed.

Now, things are very flexible.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.