ad: k1jek

SK ---TERRY BARNES Gi3USS

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by MI0TMW, Sep 19, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. MI0TMW

MI0TMW Ham Member QRZ Page

It is with regret that I record the passing of Terry Barnes, GI3USS. Terry, a Past President of the RSGB and RAOTA, was also a founder member of his local ckub, Bangor & District ARS and Treasurer for most of that time, relinquishing the post only recently when overtaken by ill health.

2. GI4AHD

GI4AHD Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sad to hear of Terry's death. I first met him, in his Raynet capacity, and over the next few years he was a great help and encouragement to me obtaining my licence. We worked at many Raynet event over the years. He will be greatly missed by many of radio amateurs in N Ireland.

3. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

My Condolences.

Copy Pasted;

http://rsgb.org/main/blog/news/silent-keys/2016/09/19/terry-barnes-gi3uss-september-2016/

Terry Barnes, GI3USS, 18th September 2016
    RadCom Technical Editor | September 19, 2016
    [​IMG]
    1992 RSGB President Terry Barnes, GI3USS (SK)

We have just learned that former RSGB President Terry Barnes, GI3USS has recently become a Silent Key. We are preparing an obituary. If anyone has any anecdotes, comments or other information about Terry then please email details to sk@rsgb.org.uk – we would also appreciate any further photographs that might be available.

Terry served as RSGB President in 1992. He was the first GI to hold the position for some 25 years (the last being Barney Patterson, GI3KYP, in 1967). Terry had been a volunteer for the Society for some years before his election to President, and put this experience to good use during his term of office. In his first leader article for RadCom he wrote of EMC problems, ‘black box’ operating and ways that the RSGB could be modernised.

He was also the President of the Radio Amateur Old Timers’ Association (RAOTA) from 1994 until 1998.

His successor, Peter Chadwick, G3RZP reminisces:

“Terry was President in 1992. His inauguration was held in Bangor in Northern Ireland: because the Company Secretary at the time was the late John Hall, G3KVA, and because of John’s previous professional responsibilities, John was advised not to go to the inauguration, which caused some disappointment. Prior to retirement, Terry worked for the Northern Ireland police as a radio technician: he was the Zonal Council member for Northern Ireland before becoming President.

[​IMG]
    Terry, GI3USS, Bert, GI3IIF and Eddie, GI3SXG enjoying the 1967 NFD in at Islandmagee, Co Antrim. Photo courtesy EI5DI.

“I was the RSGB Executive Vice President in that year, and he and I made the first RSGB foray to the Dayton Hamvention, running a small booth selling RSGB books and memberships – which proved profitable enough for the process to be worth repeating. Terry spent a lot of time at Potters Bar: he signed every membership certificate himself – no rubber stamp signature! – and often stayed in the ‘flat’ there, which was nowhere near the plush apartment that some members imagined!

“Terry, Frank Hall (GM8BZX, President in 1991) and myself generally went for a pizza and a bottle of Piesporter after RSGB Council meetings, which allowed us to set the world to rights. I well remember his excitement at one of these meals when he told us about the Labgear LG300 AM and CW transmitter he had just acquired and his problems in getting it back home.

“As President, he travelled widely through the UK in support of regional activities, and stayed with me a few times when we were representing RSGB at various activities within Zone D, for which I was the Zonal Council Member. He was a member of RAOTA as well as RSGB. In later years, I know he was unwell for a long time, and his XYL also suffered from long term illness.”

Family member David Barnes adds,

“Terry was my uncle on my father’s side.

[​IMG]
    Terry Barnes

“I would like to thank the RSGB for such a grand tribute to Terry on your website. It was from Terry, that I found my love for all things electrical, and subsequently spent 30 years involved with everything from radar and communications, to global data networks to satellite control and communication systems. With our loss, I take solace that the family are back together, since my father passed away at age 37, in 1970.

“As you are probably aware, Terry grew up and lived near Bangor all of his life with his wife Yvonne, raising their 3 children. His brother, my father Ian (John) left for Scotland, where he married my mother. However we often returned, as a family, to spend many happy summers playing with our cousins, Terry’s children, while staying with our grandparents, Willie and May Barnes, at their home Lochiel, the rear of which looked out on to Carnalea golf course and down to Ballyholme.

“While we were children, staying at Lochiel one year during the summer school holidays, we were told an anecdote of Terry and Ian, when they were boys, which I would like to relate to you now, since it has stayed with me all these years. Terry and Ian were playing in the back garden with a set of golf clubs and balls; quite a common activity by all accounts given their close proximity to the Carnalea golf course. Ian, I can only assume in an absent moment, took a swing at the ball, unfortunately while facing the house. The ball flew straight and true, but directly at Terry, whom it narrowly missed; primarily due to his quick reactions we were told. However, this reaction did not go without its consequences, since it then sailed straight through the dining room window, leaving a perfect hole and bounced around the room. When my Grandfather stood up, spluttering from his breakfast table and glowered at the boys, Ian stammered, “It wasn’t my fault, Terry ducked!”

“We will all miss Terry, a real gentleman with a marvellous sense of humour and a kind nature. Please give my thanks to all your members. Here’s to fond memories.”

Yours Aye,
    David Barnes

Terry’s funeral is at 1pm on Tuesday 27 September 2016 at Hamilton Road, Presbyterian Church, Hamilton Road, Bangor, Co Down. Cremation at 4pm at Roselawn, Belfast. (Tnx MI0AEX).

Category: Silent Keys

4. A61ZX

A61ZX Ham Member QRZ Page

RIP