Single vs double paddle key

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD5TTZ, Sep 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD5TTZ

KD5TTZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Gentlemen,
    I am considering purchasing a Kent key.
    Either the Kent Morse Keys Twin Paddle Keys TP1-B or the Kent Morse Keys Single Paddle Keys SP-1.

I am looking for opinions on single vs double paddle keys.
    I have only used a straight key (my late fathers key) and was thinking of trying something else.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    kd5ttz

2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Less chance for mistakes. I bought a Kent single paddle this winter and like it.

N1BTC, WD4IGX and KD5TTZ like this.
  3. W2OZB

W2OZB Ham Member QRZ Page

I went to a single paddle because I never learned Iambic "A" or "B" technique, so it made sense to me. Why spend money on the complex double lever paddle if you can't do the "iambic thing"? I know many who use the single paddle in "cootie" wiring, which to me seems intriguing., but right now I'm concentrating improving on cw skills in paddle mode first.

There is an article that seems to dispute the iambic technique as not really a time saver, though I can''t seem to find the link for you right now. Interesting reading, but for me, a mute point as I never learned the iambic technique anyway. I have a Kent double paddle around here someplace. If you get the single and get buyer's remorse, pm me. We can do a swap. I'm single paddle all the way.

WD4IGX and KD5TTZ like this.
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to do iambic, you need the double paddle, even if you don't get to learn that right away, using a keyer with a doble paddle still can be done the old way.
    I have my old straight key, my Vibroplex bug and a MFJ memory keyer all connected to the rig. I can switch from one to another device by just moving my hand over to the one I want. and sometimes I run into a Q R S op and have to go to the straight key to match a slow speed from a newbie CW op ! The Bug and Keyer have a minimum speed that can be too fast for a new op. !

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    KD5TTZ likes this.
  5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Some time down the road you may realize you REALLY want to do Iambic keying method, and then you have to try to sell the single lever paddle at a loss and buy a double lever paddle...Poor planning ?

KD5TTZ likes this.
  6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

SO...how can you learn to do Iambic keying if you don't have the double lever paddle there to play with and maybe learn something new ??? If you have a problem learning the method, you still send send the old way with the double lever, you are not forced to do iambic with it. !!!

KD5TTZ likes this.
  7. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for your genuine concern regarding my financial stability.

WD4IGX and KD5TTZ like this.
  8. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW. . . Back in the 1970s, I first learned to send on a single lever paddle (which was actually a modified Les Logan bug) and then learned to use an iambic double lever paddle. Once I got the feel of the iambic, I never went back to the single lever type. I really like the iambic "B" mode and use it exclusively.

KD5TTZ likes this.
  9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I vastly prefer a single paddle, to the point I just gave up on using a double.

"But you don't have to key it in iambic fashion..."

Well, no, but the thing is I ALWAYS have a problem with accidentally inserting extranious elements with a double paddle. It's worse with keyers - all of them now I assume - with a dit memory. Some didn't used to have that so if you bumped an extra element at the end accidentally but were ahead of what was actually being sent then that element wouldn't be sent.

I just send much better with a single paddle. And I started with a double in the late 1970s so I've had plenty of time to experiment and my preference is firmly set.

KD5TTZ likes this.
  10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually no, I can't.

See above.

KD5TTZ likes this.