Since the HOA did not approve my HF vertical, I'm going rogue!

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KN4DQE, Mar 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

So did these (from page 2 of June 1966 S9 magazine:

KE0EYJ, KC8VWM and NH7RO like this.
  2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure how that helps with the antenna situation. And the added risk is that during the investigation for noxious weeds or invasive insects, someone might find some endangered specie living in your back yard, and the federal government could prohibit you from using your yard!
    NH7RO likes this.
  3. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course, ANY antenna will work to some extent . . . but how well it actually radiates is another matter.

I've always found antennas are very poor if they are too near trees . . . so the idea of a vertical wire actually stapled to a real tree is something I would never do.

I bet you'd find you're only actually radiating a tenth of your power !

Roger G3YRO
  4. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

That downright perverts the idea of "hiding in plain sight" now, doesn't it? Thanks for the laughs!
    KC8VWM likes this.
  5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Staff Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Stealth mobile antenna...

WN1MB, KE0EYJ and NH7RO like this.
  6. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would probably set it off by hanging from a branch.

Although I did rather like the smell from wood burning in shop class.
    NH7RO likes this.
  7. KW4TI

KW4TI Ham Member QRZ Page

I hang my antenna from a tree, but it is not placed directly against the tree trunk. I think a few feet of separate should work to reduce the attenuation.

At any rate, getting it up higher will be more than worth it even in the attenuation is a little increased.

KE0EYJ likes this.
  8. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Upon further reflection, you need some shade for that swimming pool of yours. Rather than planting a tree and waiting for years for it to shade your big splash, you need to either install an instant tree : or you need to install a shade fly over your pool:

You could switch your pool over from Chlorine to Sodium Chloride (salt). Salt Water pools generally have a salinity of 1500-4500 parts per million, you can utilize your pool as an antenna. See Video: Seawater has a salinity of 1000-3000 ppm, so salt-water-poolwater ought to work with a current probe.
    NH7RO likes this.
  9. N5DMC

N5DMC Ham Member QRZ Page

...Abner, Abner, I'm seeing things again.....

Patio lights are all the rage hey!

Here where it gets serious-
    Hang/hoist two wires 60 feet apart in some of those trees out back with an eye bolt, perhaps like I do with 3ea 1 1/4"x 10 foot sections of electrical conduit (using 1 1/2" to lash them) lag bolted to the tree 5 feet up twice, then pull both elements (wires) together 120 feet away to a single feed point, spreader bar with a 4:1 balun and coax to your shack, 30 feet up or better. It's a flat top horizontal Vee beam. Enjoy a very high performing antenna. 20m and above will make all your friends hate you with stupid amounts of ERP! Oh yes, lots of camo paint on the vertical conduit.

73 Doug
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018