ad: k1jek

Simplex Premotion

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0AAV, Jul 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W0AAV

W0AAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently read the post that a fellow made on here saying there needed to be more premotion on simplex, I for one, agree with that post and in my area we have about 7 hams that I could talk simplex to but they just say they arent as active as they use to be. I think before we worry about simplex premotion we need to worry more about young blood. Ham radio is losing out to computers,cellphones and other various forms of communications. I have been licensed since I was a sophomore in highschool and when I mentioned to them what that cb like radio in my car was they had no idea about a ham radio nor had they ever heard about it.... I mostly hear guys say well why go spend all of that money on radios and antennas and all of the rest when you can get a cell phone and a cheap talk plan. It seems that our young people these days really have lost our traditions because the world sped up and they had no time for the social things. I am a Mason as well and in our lodges membership is low it is considered to be an old man thing, young people just waste too much time of chasing women and worrying about who is going to buy their alcohol for that night. I wish more young people would get their children involved in social events and activities before they reach the age to not care and just do the things that kids these days enjoy...most of which are illegal. Then maybe our repeaters would be more active and our simplex would go back to being so active that a cq would be needed to get a word in edge wise.

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the reasons that there is not as much simplex activity is the "shack on the hip" mentality. That is, too many amateurs (especially, but not limited to, newly licensed amateurs) have their entire equipment inventory in a single hand-held radio. Considering the very inefficient antennas that are on the vast majority of these units, it is very difficult to work anyone except by utilizing a repeater.

Back in the mid-to-late 1960s, when repeater operation was just beginning to "catch on", virtually all of the 2 meter FM operation was on 146.940 MHz simplex and 6 meter FM operation was on 52.525 MHz simplex. In some areas, 147.300 MHz had been used for 2 meter FM operation prior to the opening of the 2 meter band to Technician Class licenses in around 1960 or 1961. At that time, Technicians were then granted the same 2 meter privileges as Novice Class licensees had which was 145 - 147 MHz. Since the first "normal" channel below 147 MHz was 146.940 MHz (this was back in the days of 60 KHz commercial spacing between channels) that frequency became "standard" all over the United States. Around 1962, the Technicians were given all of 2 meters and the 146.940 MHz frequency didn't have any real reason to exist. However, since "everyone" had crystals for this frequency, it became THE calling frequency in most parts of the country.

Things go in cycles. During the 1970s and 1980s, 2 meter repeater operation was the "in" thing all over the country. Then, for the past few years, operation has been falling off. During the 1960s, 6 meter AM operation was the "in" thing, being replaced by 2 meter FM repeater operations late in that decade. Now, I think that 2 meter operation levels have "bottomed out" and things are starting to rebound. As the repeaters start getting crowded again, more and more amateurs will migrate to the simplex channels, especially when working from a fixed location (with better antenna systems).

The Internet has definitely cut into amateur radio. It is too easy to turn on your computer, activate your modem, and immediately be connected to the world. Fortunately, there are enough people who see how much amateur radio can do for them and get interested in becoming licensed. But, it is also too easy for people to lose interest since they actually have to "do" something to make contacts.

Glen, K9STH

3. KB9YFI

KB9YFI Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K9STH @ July 09 2002,19:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Internet has definitely cut into amateur radio.  It is too easy to turn on your computer, activate your modem, and immediately be connected to the world.  [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    People turn off their computers and disconnect from the Internet?  Wow, what old-fashioned practices...

That's like turning off the 2M rig on .52!  I never thought of the possibility.

Great History lesson on VHF operation. I always wondered why my old Drake TR33 had .94 crystaled when there was no local repeater on that frequency until about 10 years ago.

Jim – KB9YFI

4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You will work a lot more on 6 meter SSB if you go down to 50.125 MHz instead of 50.525 MHz!

Glen, K9STH

5. WB2GOF

WB2GOF Ham Member QRZ Page

KC0FDE - Promotion - P - R - O - M - O - T - I - O - N

6. KD7LDH

KD7LDH QRZ Member QRZ Page

National Call Freq for 2m in PHX is like talking to a wall - NO ONE IS ONE IT!

YES I AM A SHACK ON A HIP however I have a Base antenna (half wave) and 5 watts

7. KD5KUF

KD5KUF Guest

Doesn't a shack on your hip make you walk funny?  [​IMG]
    I'm sure glad all I have to carry around is an HT!  [​IMG]

All kidding aside I find a lot of simplex activity here in NE Oklahoma with a 50 watt 2m mobile. And I have found that 25 watts and a beam is all I really need from my base setup. Then I switch to horizontal and 2m ssb for longer range contacts.
    Be sure to program 146.52 into your radio's memory for when you are scanning between QSOs. Repeaters have their uses but remember the K.I.S.S. rule (Keep It Simplex Stupid). [​IMG]

8. N7CPC

N7CPC Ham Member QRZ Page

I live in N.W. Washington and most of the simplex stations I work are Canadian. Both mobile and fixed. Though we do have a machine here that covers a large portion of southern B.C. they are still more prevelent on .52.

Simplex still rules in my &quot;humble&quot; opinion.

73 de Craig.........N7CPC

9. KD7LDH

KD7LDH QRZ Member QRZ Page

Ok the getting young people on the air... I wouldn't be cought dead walking around with my handheld anywhere except at work or at C.A.P. and even then I usually am just using the ham band for testing. Now if one of the manufacturers made a Handheld that look like a cellular phone maybe I would carry it around. [​IMG]

10. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Cell phone? What's that? A radio should look like a radio. Now if I could get an SSTV rig in a watch like Buck Rogers had, that would be cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.