SIGNALINK to iMAC

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by KD4KO, Jan 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KD4KO

KD4KO Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KD4KO

Somehow i
    I lost the driver for the USB cable that goes from the radio CAT, to the computer. I don't recall where I uploaded it.

3. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Should be "mode", not "modem" as I typed. There is a menu labeled "mode" where you select the mode that WSJT-X is working in. Choose FT8, presuming that's the mode you want to use. Tune to 7074kHz. You should get some decodes that start to appear.

All of this is covered in the online help for WJST-X which I would strongly recommend you read. It seems that you're not at all familiar with the basic functions of the WSJT-X software.

4. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I can't help with that. The driver shouldn't disappear: once it is installed in macOS it stays installed. If you had CAT working before, then it should be working now.

However, try this. Go to the settings in WSJT-X, select "Radio" tab. For the RIG pulldown, simply choose "None" and save your changes. Now, place your rig on 7074kHz in DIGU mode. Select "7074kHz (40m)" from the frequency pulldown on the front of WJST-X. You should start seeing some signals appear on the waterfall and decodes should start happening in the window. If your input volume level is too low or too high (the green bar/scale on the left side of the screen), you may need to adjust your input/output levels to get it in the range around 40dB or so, but there is some room there to play with so if you're at 50 or even 60 (or 30 or 20), leave it for now.

When you go to transmit now, the Signalink should trigger the PTT on your rig even though the CAT isn't functioning properly (because you turned it off).

This should get you on the air, but you'll need to manually tune your rig and select the frequency in WSJT-X (for accuracy in reporting, if you use that function).

5. KD4KO

I'm getting very close to giving up on this digital business!
    Since my special USB cable, will no longer communicate with my radio, I get this message when I choose NONE for the radio.
    Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 2.58.02 PM.png
    Yesterday, my iPhone locked up, and Apple support manipulated my iMac screen to communicate with the iPhone to reset it. after that I lost communication with the radio.
    That is why I need to download the driver again.

6. K3DCW

In WSJT-X, set your PTT method to VOX. That should clear up the Invalid PTT method message.

If I remember correctly, you ended up ordering a FTDI-based cable: the driver can be found http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/MacOSX/FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_4_2.dmg

Once installed, you may have to go to Systems and Preferences, to your security settings, and authorize the driver to load. This usually only has to be done once.

7. KD4KO

i thank you for all of your help in this matter.
    I am giving up; I no longer can get the FDI based cable to comunicate with the iMac and the FT-857.
    Maybe I will order another cable.

8. KD4KO

A new cable arrived today. Now I can control the FT-857D via WSJTX.
    Lots of traffic with JT8, but I'm still in the dark about what do next.

I was expecting the Signalink to send the audio to the iMac speakers, and that I could use the Yeti USB mic. I really wanted to totally operate everything from the computer.
    Many signals coming in; just have to figure out what to do next.
    PTT Method set to CAT, Split Operation set to None, and Mode set to None.

9. K3DCW

Why would you want the audio to go to the speakers and then use the mic to transmit...that introduces a lot of noise to the mix. The Signalink ensures you have a clean audio path between the software (WSJT-X) and the rig providing the best quality for decoding and transmitting without lots of garbage/noise being picked up or transmitted. I believe you can configure the speakers to monitor and play the audio coming through the SignaLink...I'm not in front of my Mac right now and can't recall exactly how to do it.

Now, if you're wanting to use the SIgnaLink for VOICE operations I can see why you might want to use the Yeti and speakers, but you've been talking about WSJT-X and FT8 mode, so that's what we have set you up for. I guess I'm not sure what you want to do with the speakers and the Yeti mic, and from the sound of it, you're not too sure of what you want to do either.

As far as what to do next with FT8/WSJT-X, perhaps reading the manual will shed some light. I posted the link earlier, I believe, but in case I didn't: https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-1.8.0.html

10. KD4KO

You're right about the manual.
    I seem to be still stuck in thr analog mode hi hi.