SIGNALINK to iMAC

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by KD4KO, Jan 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD4KO

KD4KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have both wsjtx and fldigi working, but I cannot get either to work with my new Signalink USB and my Yaesu FT-857D.
    I followed the instructions on www.qsl.net/na4it/slusb/slusb_ft857d.
    I also have flrig-1.3.38 running.
    This all new to me after waking from a 50 year nap (QRT).

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What exactly is not working? Are you at least seeing signals in either WSJT or FLDIGI?

I have a Signalink USB running both FLDIGI and WSJTX, on an iMac mid-2011, with OS X 10.11.6, with an FT-950 and FT-817ND, and it's working fine. And I used to have an FT-897D working also.

So if we can determine what is different between our two setups, which are basically nearly identical hardware and software, that should help diagnose the problem.

3. KD4KO

Than you for your quick reply!
    Could you send me Screen shots of your configurations that worked for you.
    Before I purchase the Signalink, I used a USB to CAT cable. I could control the rigs frequency via wsjtx, but thats all. I was told to get the Signalink so I could get the RX and TRX through. I'm sure it is something very simple, that I have not set.

4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is your problem with FLDIGI itself or with FLRIG ? If it's the latter, I can't help, since I don't use rig control.

If it's just FLDIGI then there's not much that can go wrong. All the default settings should work although have to select the correct sound card device.

Under Configure, select Soundcard. The box PortAudio should be checked. And in the drop-downs next to it, select "USB Audio Codec" for both Capture and Playback. There's really all you should need to do.

In the SL-USB device itself there are some jumpers inside that need to be configured correctly, and you have to be using the correct cable between the radio and the SL-USB.

Otherwise it should just be a matter of finding the right sound level settings.

5. KD4KO

The SL-USB is using the pre-programmed jumper card, and they ring out correctly.
    I have an audio cable that came with the SignaLink; not sure about it.
    I see no way to adjust the frequency with FLDIGI. Rig is on 14.257.50 not 224191.000
    Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 7.57.29 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 7.58.10 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 7.59.38 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 8.15.07 AM.png

6. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The SL-USB does NOT provide rig control. It is only an USB Audio Device and has no provisions for controlling the rig's frequency or other settings. You'll either need to set the frequency manually on Fldigi AND the rig, or you'll need to look at a cable to connect your Mac to the FT857D.

I know you had issues before getting your rig to communicate with the 857D, so I don't know if you've ever tackled that, but you need two connections: one for audio (the SignaLink USB) and one for CAT control (some variant of USB-CT62-CAT terminal on the back of the FT857D). If you're only using one or the other, then you're only working with half the required connections.

7. KD4KO

I was originally using wsjtx, and a special USB to CAT cable. With it, I could control the FT-857Ds frequency and tune with the wsjtx, but had no audio connection. I thought that the USB SignaLink would solve this problem.

8. KD4KO

I connected the USB CAT cable to the rig and the computer. I can now control the frequency via the wsjtx.
    The next thing to do, is to get the RX audio to the computer, and enable my USB desk mic.
    I have the audio cable that came with the Signalink. I thought that the audio was connected to the computer via its USB.

9. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You have to use the audio cable that came with the signalink. Connect it to the back of the rig, and of course to the Signalink. At that point, you'll have two connections: one for the CAT, and one for the audio. You won't need to use the USB desk mic as the Signalink will handle both input and output of audio once you setup the USB Audio CODEC in Fldigi and/or WSJT-X.

10. KD4KO

I have the audio cable plugged into the Yaesu. What jack on the signaling do plug the other in?
    Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 4.46.16 PM.png