signal links are junk.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KA1BSZ, Jan 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KT6A

KT6A Ham Member QRZ Page

You got a SignaLink for $89?!?

It must be a used one then. Start looking at the condition of the one you were sold before considering it junk. Perhaps you were sold a broken device, or one that the previous owner screwed up already. Is it an SL+ or USB version?

And for that matter, why aren't you asking "everyone in your radio club" for some immediate support?

Vent much?

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Between friends an I, we probably have 10 Signalink USB units. I don't think anyone has had any issues. Mine works great on my Kenwood, Yaesu and Icom radios. You do have to follow the setup explicitly, especially the PC volume settings, and on some radios you need to tell it to expect audio from the rear port.

If you only paid $89 for a new one, it sounds like you got an SL-1+, which is a very simple device, comparable to other isolated adapters that rely on the PC sound card. Didn't know they even still sold those. Perhaps you got an NOS or returned unit?

By the way, this might be of use:

"Technical Support is available by phone every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, from 1 PM to 5 PM PACIFIC / 4 PM to 8 PM EASTERN, by calling (541) 862-2639. Support is available for all Tigertronics products. "

3. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My SignaLink works flawlessly - 3000 FT8 and PSK31 contacts and counting.

By the way - you owe us $11.00 for the over use of exclamation points. It makes our heads hurt.

4. AF7ON

AF7ON Ham Member QRZ Page

WB7OXP likes this.
  5. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

does it go up extra for #3?

"peace of trash"

that should be like $33 alone

6. N5BCN

N5BCN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a SignaLink and it works find for me but I find the TX knob very sensitive/touchy. I've tried turning down the sound output in Windows Sound mixer, which helped, but still the entire range of adjustment is in the first 1/4 turn of the knob. Other than that, it seems solid and reasonably priced.

7. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This was troubling for me at first as well. I have now found a very good TX and RX setting that allows me to use the Pwr slider in WSJT-X to go down to 5 watts and up to 100 watts on bands 10meter down to 40 meter. It also runs about 70-80 watts out on fldigi without having to touch the TX knob (I realize that is high - I don't use those modes very often so don't mind turning the TX down for them).

8. KF5FEI

Yep. Found that when I used it on several radios. Put an 22k resistor in series on the TX audio line (cut track on jumper, installed resistor. This gives me quite a bit more adjustment -- with the sweet spot being about 12 o'clock.

IMG_4540.JPG

WB7OXP and N5BCN like this.
  9. N5BCN

N5BCN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, I'll have to give that a shot one of these days.

10. KF5FEI

FYI -- this was a mod for Yaesu radios in some of Tigertronics old documentation. I can't take the credit.

WB7OXP likes this.