ad: Morse-1

Show us your junk

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KC2ZPK, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KC2ZPK

KC2ZPK Ham Member

..... Junk box that is. :)
    Over the years of playing with electronics and radios i seem to have collected a bunch of junk. Not really junk, but various resisters, caps, ics, ucontrollers, etc. How does everyone sort and store this in a meaing full and organized way? Pictures are a plus....
    Thanks
    John

2. W5WPL

W5WPL Subscriber

QRZ has a policy about that. So in accordance.....no
    edit: sorry, thought you meant sumpum else

3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

Girls don't have junk.

4. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member

Yes, they do ... it's in the trunk.

5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber

OH BOY!!!! YOU WANT JUNK????!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You got junk!

Here is just the TIP of the ICEBERG!

[​IMG]

another view of just under the Radio station table (old pic. alot more junk there now)

[​IMG]

The whole upstairs in the house is filled with junk!

[​IMG]

Then, here at work, I have probably 500 boxes of junk upstairs and in the back stashed away.

I have more junk than the rest of the world combined!!!

6. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member

Most of my junk is still car parts. Anybody need a set of points?:)

7. WN6U

WN6U Ham Member

"Girls have cooties". -- Bart Simpson :)

8. VE1IDX

VE1IDX Ham Member

Sort? Meaningful and organized way? What do these words mean? My junque,I call it "junque" as opposed to "junk" as it is a higher class of junk, overflowed from my shack into the basement. The basement overflowed into the small shed. The small shed was replaced by an 18x24 two story shop. The upstairs is now full and over flowing into the downstairs.

My name is Garth and I have a problem with junque. They say admitting it is the first step to recovery..........speaking of recovery I know of where I can recover some more parts.....See Ya!

9. KC9VFO

KC9VFO Premium Subscriber

LOL!!!! What kind of man lives this way???

10. N9ZMO

N9ZMO XML Subscriber

A Ham gone bad... on the next Hoarders!!

11. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber

A man who lets the CRABBY WIFE yell in one ear, and it comes out the other side!
    I use an INTERNAL DSP NOTCH FILTER to tune it out!

12. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

Doesn't ever seem to matter if you are one of the cool girls, that would play army with the boys.

13. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member

I used to snab every dead television or radio I could find. Most of the parts were removed from the circuit boards then painstakingly sorted and most were also tested to see if they were good or not. Some things, like capacitors, I had no way to test short of building my project and seeing if it worked or burned up.

The not good stuff continued on its way to the city dump. The good stuff was put into baby food jars.

At first I would nail the lid of the baby food jar to the underside of a shelf then screw the jar onto the lid. When I ran out of shelving to do this with I still sorted the parts by values and put them in baby food jars.

When my supply of baby food jars went away I started using peanut butter jars. They had changed the way the lids screwed onto the baby food jars anyway and they did not hold nearly as well toward the end of me using them.

Transformers were put on top of the shelves the baby food jars were on. When they started getting out of hand they were put into cardboard boxes. When the cardboard boxes would get too trashed I built boxes out of wood to keep them in.

Tubes were squirreled away in various places until the pile built up. Then known good tubes were put into cardboard boxes I got at a stationary store and labeled. Then unknown tubes were put into a large box until I could compare them with known good tubes and compared to tubes in the RCA tube manual then run them through my tube tester.

I had a lot of not labeled tubes that I had made my best guess as to what they probably were, that were also put in those boxes then labeled accordingly. In the fullness of time I sold all but a handful of tubes that I might need someday, at a hamfest.

My radio junk box is but a mere shadow of what it once was.

14. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

Wish I knew you when I was growing up. :)

15. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Platinum Subscriber

16. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

Come On
    I want to see more of your junk Zedders.

17. KB9LXP

KB9LXP Ham Member

Nothing to see here...I tossed everything a few years back. Never had time to start a fun project. A few computer monitors in stand by mode with 2 qrp transceiver kits to finish stuffing in some kind of inclosure is about it. Lots of old tv's and am radios met there demise at my hand. If I even think of bringing something electronic home....The wife does read my mind as she is staring me down right now.
    Mike

18. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member

Points? Points? What are them?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

19. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member

Whatcha gonna do with all that junk, All that junk inside your trunk.

20. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber

They have more junk than you'd THUNK! Don't want NO woman (wifoid or not) that's "crabby"... or fleas either !!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.