Should yaesu ft901dm drift constantly?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KG7HVR, Oct 2, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Any reason this vfo drifts more than the internal one? The fv901 would ne direct plug and play. Why would the fv101zd be different? I heard it was the other way around the earlier ones had to be adapted but somebody made a cable for this one

2. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

The external VFO is subject to more temperature variation than the one inside the radio.

There are several signals present on the FT-101Z's two Ext VFO connectors that aren't on the FT-90x rigs. Among these are lines which indicate the sideband or carrier mode in use, and this facilitates proper readout of the FV-101ZD's digital display. You can use the "band" DIN connector but have to do a bit of rewiring to make it work, and the VFO itself also requires a couple of changes to work in this capacity.

3. KG7HVR

I don't understand what the point of this shift and clarifier is on this particular deal I noticed there's more than one connection on the back of this radio that looks like a den pin that would fit

4. KG7HVR

Boy I tell you my 101 vfo works like crazy. Too bad this doesnt

5. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Get ahold of the FT-101Z User and Maintenance manuals...the FV-101ZD manual...and look at the rear-panel connector descriptions and pinouts for each. Study the interfacing portions of the schematics.

Next, get ahold of the FT-902 Maintenance manual. Study the counter and readout section carefully, particularly how it interfaces to the Mode switch.

That's how an FV-101ZD's display tracks with what the radio is doing. That's what you need to supply from an FT-90x (either version) to an FV-101ZD to make it work properly with the 90x model line.

6. KG7HVR

I dont want a fv101zd vfo. Only a 901vfo

7. KG7HVR

Is there a difference between stability on any of the three VFOS

8. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Any analog VFO will drift more than a properly designed synthesized unit. I can say that my FV-901, FV-101ZD, FV-102, VFO-230 and DFC-230 all stay put...while their analog contemporaries vary.

I remarked early on in thread that my current FT-901DM is extremely stable for an analog device. Other 90x gear I've owned and repaired over the years performed similarly. There's nothing inherently wrong with what Yaesu did here, assuming the components are in spec.

9. KG7HVR

Interesting. My 101 is very stable once warm.the fv101b vfo is even more stable. I had figured this would be the same with this fv101z vfo. Can the huff and puff be added in the remote vfo?
    Whats the 230? Sounds kenwoodish.
    My ts830 is more stable than the 901. My old 820 was more stable also but not as good as the 830 .my two 101 radios are the most stable radios. 101b being better than the 101e
    Thats my go to radio.
    The 901 is in my bed room. I like looking at it more than using it! My spare 901 and101 are also in here.

10. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. Bear in mind that the VFO's analog readout linearity will be affected to a degree, but since you're using the '901's display this won't be much of an issue.

It's a smallish synthesizer/remote VFO arrangement, originally marketed for mobile use. 4 memories and up/down frequency control for those compatible radios which support it (TS-130S). Also works with the TS-530/830 lines.

I have all the above, plus R-820s (3), a '530SP and an FT-902. Once warmup occurs, none of mine move.