Should Overpriced Gear Be Called Out?

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by N4GKS, Oct 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok, good idea. Here’s my definitive post on the topic:

When I’m buying, all the prices are too high. When I’m selling, all the offers are too low.

That ought to cover it.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    K7MH, KA0HCP, K3RW and 4 others like this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Slight edit suggestion: "When I'm selling, all counteroffers are too low."

;)

K0UO, N1VAU and N0TZU like this.
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks!

4. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Take the Alinco DJ-G29T. Its the only ham gear on 900 that seemingly was ever made. Its a handheld and also does 1.25m FM. Otherwise its an unremarkable Alinco. But its scarce.

New price if I get in my Delorean would seem like a bargain. I'd buy all of them. And keep one.

I only hope that ops don't throw upwards of $350 at it and drive up the market. But they do, and they sell quickly more than they seemingly cost used (or if you figure wear and tear and replacement battery cost), way more. Now people ask $400 and often are getting it. But thats a function of scarcity. The rest of the VHF contesting community laughs at those buyers.

Same if you price an Inrad/Collins filter for the FT-8x7 series nowadays.

Nope, I'm not a price police fan.

But what I like even less are SK estate sale vultures and 'parts swapper' fears. Let us freely call that out.

That part swapper crap chafes me hard. Just say sales are final and leave it at that.

There are some guys who make a second living raping SK estates on putting them on here. Perhaps a nominal fee to list here is in order. No reason everything should be free.

5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

You could start by subscribing to QRZ. ;)

(So could I but $$ is really short right now)

WW2PT, N1VAU and K3RW like this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thought it might take a long time to find it but the forum Gods were good this morning, took about 30 seconds.
    From previous K3XR posts...
    Let's see looks like it only took about 15 days to start another thread on a subject covered many times here on the Zed.
    The good news is I can use my post from July 31 and don't need to type a new one...

You can kick this dead horse all you want the answer is the same as it's always been. We don't get to tell a seller what price to ask for his equipment and we don't get to tell a buyer what price to pay. If the gear is priced too high it likely will not sell. If it does sell the buyer and seller apparently came to an agreement on a price, asking or otherwise. It's up to the buyer to do their homework when it comes to pricing on the gear they are looking to purchase.
    The thread on July 31 was
    "Equipment - New vs Used Pricing"
    Dead horses do have a way of showing up again just tend to smell a little stronger.

Wow...that dead horse is getting real strong.

7. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

part of the hamfest learning process. i struggled, then got good at it. its been so much fun selling dumpster diving junk at high prices from 7am till 10 am, then its buy one get two free!!
    you know, that stuff i cleaned up in my barn...

K3RW likes this.
  8. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you volunteering to point out when the price is too low?

Get out of the for sale forum and get on the air.

K0UO likes this.
  9. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think anything needs to be done about it, but I am truly perplexed that people will try to sell something at or nearly the same price as a new item. I always wonder what the reasoning is. Maybe enough people don't check new prices? I have no idea.

10. KA3BQE

KA3BQE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It would be nice if the subject line had to include the sell price of gear. I spend a lot of wasted time clicking on links to only see overpriced gear. What is over priced to me? $544 which gets me a brand new OOB Yaesu FT-891. Yup. It is a great radio. I suspect I will own a 2nd one soon at these prices. Just waiting on Black Friday to see if there are any special deals. Heck, who knows I could own three soon too for less than the total price of a used, unwarranty, 10+ year old radio that needs a full new set of caps replaced. I just do not have that much time left for that much soldering.

AJ6KZ likes this.