Should Overpriced Gear Be Called Out?

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by N4GKS, Oct 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's called "the free market".

Couple of thoughts:

- A free market only exists when both buyers and sellers have both choice and information. Amateur radio gear almost always fills both requirements, because in practically all cases the buyer doesn't have to buy any particular item, and the seller doesn't have to accept any particular price, and the information about selling prices and such is readily available.

- There is no "law" which states what such items "should" sell for, nor what is a "fair" price. This is particularly true of used gear. Some folks think there is - that, say, a 10 year old radio "should" sell for, say, 75% of the new price - but they're flat-out wrong.

- In pricing, it's important to compare apples to apples. Many rigs were made in various versions over the production life, and with all sorts of options that can dramatically affect the price. (And of course condition, warranty, etc.)

For example, someone might ask "what's the fair price for an FT-1000?"

First, which model - FT-1000, FT-1000D, FT-1000MP, FT-1000MP Mark V, FT-1000MP Mark V Field? (Those are just the ones I know).

Second, what options? TCXO? Filters (Yaesu or Inrad?) Other options? Inrad filters for the FT-1000 family cost between $133 and $175 new - EACH. An FT-1000 family radio loaded with Inrads is a very different thing from one with just the stock Yaesu filters.

Third, what about mods? There were some significant improvements to the FT-1000 family over its lifetime.

Those details are important, and can explain big differences in pricing - and not just for FT-1000s. New rigs have the same considerations - often the low low prices seen on websites are for a base model with NO options, and when you add those options in....wow.

2. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

In Greek it is called "Caveat Emptor"-- oh, wait----

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I just have to ask, Serious question.

Why cry here on QRZ about something that you seen on Ebay ?

No one on QRZ can fix Ebay or Facebook, Or Paypal.

K3XR, K2HAT, N3AB and 3 others like this.
  4. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

And it's not just ham gear. I watch some guitars and pool cues. It's often the same thing.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a set of drums that I can not give away.

They are not allowed to be played in a HOA neighborhood. :rolleyes:

6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Reminds me of the definition of a gentleman: One who can play the bagpipe but doesn't.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

K3RW, K7MH, KJ4VTH and 1 other person like this.
  7. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Be
    Because they do not have to sell it for less... Agreed something is only worth what someone is willing to pay and if they are getting buyers whose to say how they can handle the transaction...

If I want something and I am willing to pay the asking price... I buy it... if not I move along... 73 Jerry

8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Imagine if “price police” hovered around car dealerships, real estate offices, and many retail stores. Why, the economy would grind to a halt with no sales!

KP4SX likes this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

And then there are the customers who walk up to the salesman and say "I sent you an email" then walk out :D

Dave
    W7UUU

K3RW, N1VAU, N3AB and 3 others like this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

You can. Right here. Just keep your post in keeping with the site's TOS.