Should History be a subject at school?

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by EI4GMB, Aug 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. EI4GMB

EI4GMB Ham Member QRZ Page

As a History graduate I often wonder if History should be taught at all in schools. Here in Ireland, were there is political conflict, people are hung up on the past. We hear the same old rhetoric time and time again from both sides of the divide. It is always the same - deferring to history and what went on in the past. Personally, I think if history was dropped as a subject at school the world would be a better place and people would forget about the past and finally get on with the future ...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  2. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I think history was eliminated from school curriculum because we realized we never learned from the events of the past. Look at Afghanistan. It's rapidly turning into another Vietnam and it's obvious we didn't learn anything from that protracted conflict. After we withdraw from Afghanistan, the outcome will be the same as it was in Vietnam.

3. W4HAY

W4HAY Ham Member QRZ Page

What history isn't revised for political correctness is ignored as being "inconvenient".

4. N5CEY

N5CEY Ham Member QRZ Page

History is always written from the viewpoint of the victor, which is why it is always distorted. The vanquished never get to tell their side.

5. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats very true - the question arising is "who's history will be taught?" I recommend anyone wishing to understand the history of the British Isles should read all 3 volumes of Professor Simon Schama's "A History of Britain". Its a great read, and note he calls it "A History" not THE history. Because its his history.

We did about 2 hours of history a week at school 1979 to 1982. It was compulsory. After that in the 2 senior years at school, I dropped history and did chemistry, biology, English, maths, geography and agriculture. Should have dropped ag or geography and done physics and history.

6. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Not so fast, my friend.

I give you, free of charge, The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government, by Jefferson Davis.

Literally: http://majorkey1920ksscv.net/newsletter/[ebook]%20Jefferson%20Davis%20-TheRiseandFalloftheConfederateGovernment.pdf

Bill

7. K5FH

K5FH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

On a scale of 1 to 10, that deserves AT LEAST a +100! :)

JBQ: relatively few people even know of the existence of The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government, much less have read it. Another example of inconvenient history being ignored.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  8. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

No I don't think history should be ignored, the problem is that history is taught in blocks, well it is in Britain. The schools are taught about Henry VIII, well, they are told the basics, they never get to the reasons why, then they are taught about Hitler, and all that that involves.

Its only when the pupils are in a higher grade, like High Schools, the pupils absorb and remember that the salient facts are understood. History is interesting when you reach the age of understanding about the world, but to most kids, because the subject is boring, they don't listen or remember. The history teachers need to teach less about dates and more about the personalities, why they did what they did, and the result of what they did.

Mel G0GQK

9. W9OE

W9OE Ham Member QRZ Page

Two of my passions are History and Geography. The majority of time I spend on the internet are spent reading those two subjects. That is when I am not on the ZED. US and world History is taught here from elementary school all the way through High school and beyond. However they could eliminate it here in the states because we have Mel, who insists on educating us Americans on the subjects every day as if we have no clue.

Sorry Mel, I could not resist! :D

10. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem with teaching history is the way it's usually taught.
    What I mean is history is often taught with a specific doctrine in mind, a political view or a form of political correctness.
    In other words what is usually taught is a lie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.