ad: k1jek

Should General/Conditional Class licensed prior to November 1968 be 'grandfathered' to Extra Class?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2AI, Jan 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

AH, yes. Change the rules. That always seems to be the answer.:(
    The fact is, that TODAY (in the U.S.) current individuals have to take the Amateur Extra written exam IF they want an Amateur Extra license.

W0FS likes this.
  2. W5WN

W5WN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They've already changed the rules to the point of no return.

VK4HAT and (deleted member) like this.
  3. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And this is a discussion about What should we do, not what Are the rules. Quite obviously some in this discussion are going to take a veiw contrary to the current rules. Perhaps the issue is not that we disagree, its that we are participating in two quite different discussions?

Me personally, well I think who cares. Bump all the old guys up a license class. It effects me naught and might actually be good for them in the latter years of their lives and the hobby at large.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 6:33 AM
    W5WN likes this.
  4. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

There are several on archive.org

5. WA9SVD

Doesn't "grandfathering" Generals or Conditional license holders cheapen those that have had to, or now have to, take the Written Amateur Extra exam?:confused:

KK4NSF likes this.
  6. AG5WC

AG5WC Ham Member QRZ Page

Taking the Extra test back in the day Meant Something, but I think you'll find that taking it today just means you're a lazy millennial so there's nothing to cheapen. Making the old-timers take the test would turn them into lazy millennials, a profound logical contradiction which could damage the fabric of space and time!

W0FS and VK4HAT like this.
  7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Point of Fact: There were no rules before 1912, when rules were implemented. They have been changing ever since. Nothing new. Ahem.

8. WA9SVD

True, but were the "changed" because they were needed, or because they would merely benefit those that haven't actually earned their way?

W0FS likes this.
  9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Can you prove the FCC has made changes to the regs purely and only in order to benefit 'undeserving" people?

How did the FCC decide they were undeserving?

Why would the FCC focus on 'undeserving" people?

"Make stupid claims, answer stupid questions".

10. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

They should absolutely be granted the Extra class if they want it...