ad: dxeng

Should Contesting be Limited on the Bands (beyond WARC)?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by WW3QB, Mar 24, 2012.

?

1. Yes

50 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. No

81 vote(s)
    61.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WW3QB

WW3QB Ham Member

Contesting is already limited from the WARC bands. Should there be contest free segments in the other bands? Simple yes or no poll.

2. WA6TKD

WA6TKD Ham Member

No, why the need to change from past and present practices? I don't participate in such contests, but I do enjoy listening some to the tremendous number of stations that do participate in such events. Makes me feel my antenna situation is not such a loss cause. :)

3. WG7X

WG7X Ham Member

OH, good gravy!!!

Not another "I hate contests!!" thread.

Give it up already. Nothing is wrong with the current situation, and no amount of on-line whining is going to change that.

Period, end-of-story.

Jeeze!!

Gary

4. WW3QB

WW3QB Ham Member

I started the poll, and I'm pro-contesting. I got tired of hearing claims that the anti-contesters actually outnumber contesters so this poll should show the truth (either way). The poll results will determine if this is a pro-contesting or anti-contesting thread.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  5. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber

Whats that ole saying???

Oh yeah

Use em or loose em

6. KE4YOG

KE4YOG XML Subscriber

I am not a contester but I am a DXer in training. I like contest because it sometimes gives me a chance to add another to my list. I now realize the hard part is getting confirmation. I can run to 17 if I get tired. Last night I heard a good number rag chews going on on 20, 40 and of course 80. I was on 160 about 10 minutes and heard a couple of rag chews going on. If the bands are quite then it is possible.

7. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member

I thought it was, "Put your Big Girl Panties on and deal with it!"

[​IMG]

8. WS4B

WS4B Ham Member

I agree. Debating contesting is like debating abortion. If you don't like contesting, don't participate in one.

9. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member

Thing about contesters is, They have no common courtesy to those that aren't. I vote for limits on how much they can do.

10. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member

Interesting this discussion did not come up during/after the RDXC (last weekend) or during the ARRL CW test last month.

11. WG7X

WG7X Ham Member

Yeah... Pretty interesting.

12. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member

This type of discussion never happens during any CW contest, only during phone contests. I've always found that interesting as well.

13. VE3FMC

VE3FMC XML Subscriber

That is because the guys who constantly whine about contests can not, or do not use CW. Only phone.

I am not a contest person, but I have no problems with contests. I will usually help guys out with a contact if I can. Plus it is a good way to work some new DX stations if you are into that.

Since I operate a lot of digital modes the contests never really bother me.

Leave well enough alone. For those that hate contests then take some time away from the radio when a major contest is on. Or jump in and hand out your call, you might actually enjoy it instead of bitching about it constantly. ;)

14. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member

I would like to see MORE contests where the PHONE operator skills are PRIMARY.
    Many contesters with their WAV files, kilowatts and assorted computerized stuff are like running marathon using cell phone or iPod!
    Frankly, sometime it is amazing to me how can a contest station have high QSO count with the poor operating skills demonstrated in just few minutes.

PS Limiting contest to frequencies DOES NOT WORK.

15. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member

I think a more-relevant question would be:

"If you support additional restrictions on contests, what would they be, and how would they be enforced?"

A rule which can't be enforced is no rule at all.

----

Here's what I'd like to see:

More "sprint" contests - ones that last only a few hours. Maybe a "linked sprint series", in which the first couple of hours are on 10, the next on 15, then 20, etc.

Contests where the power limit is, say, 200 watts. There are QRP contests, why not barefoot contests?

I'd also like to see the elimination of the signal report (let's face it - everyone is 5N in a contest) and the exchange made something else (first year you were licensed? Exact model of transmitter in use? Op's first name, birthday?)

---

I think one BIG reason some folks hate contests is this:

There are lots of rigs out there which are decent when the bands are "normal" but which really fall down on the job when assaulted by a band packed with S9+20 signals. That's when things like third-order-intercept, blocking dynamic range, phase noise, etc., take on a real meaning. Plus you can't just run the RF gain wide open, AGC SLOW and the stock filter under such conditions.

Nobody likes finding out that the rig they paid good money for has severe limitations and isn't competitive. Particularly when it's "just fine" under other conditions. So contesters become the bad guys.

73 de Jim, N2EY

"Use 'em or lose 'em!"

16. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member

I personally witnssed an incident a few years back where some weekend contest was on and afellow went to 40 meters and asked a group that was not contesting for a contest report.
    And,after getting it took the frequency on the spot.

Actually, ran the group off a spot I knew he heard because he badgered them for a report.

17. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member

I personally witnssed an incident a few years back where some weekend contest was on and afellow went to 40 meters and asked a group that was not contesting for a contest report.
    And,after getting it took the frequency on the spot.

Actually, ran the group off a spot I knew he heard because he badgered them for a report.

18. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member

I am especially irritated by digi contesters who jump on top of established CW QSOs. They should be limited to their own segment of the bands and the frequency be part of the exchange and out of segment frequency reports discounted from the final scores.
    At least I can go to a WARC band or 160M for most of the CW contest weekends.
    I don't care what the fone ops do on thier contests (except when they spill over into the CW only parts of the US bands).
    After all this rant, I must admit I do get into the 2 hour CW sprint contests sometimes..

19. KA4EET

KA4EET Ham Member

I think ham radio should welcome all people regardless of their interests as long as they do not restrict other's normal operating practices. Unfortunately many weekends go by where contests limit my use of the bands for normal ragchewing or DXing and I am relagated to WARC bands or no operating at all.
    This is how I equate a person's right to smoke. (I was a smoker for years and enjoyed it). But the way I look at it now is:We should all have the right to do anything as an adult as long as it does not invade the space and normal living conditions of non smokers. Isn't this argument all the same...."the invasion of one's normal conditions???"

20. WA6TKD

WA6TKD Ham Member

Wow, poll is at a tie, that does suprize me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.