Should an adult convicted felon / sex offender have an amateur radio license?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by K4UUG, Mar 18, 2013.

?

Should a convicted Felon / Sex Offender have an Amateur radio License

Poll closed Apr 17, 2013.
  1. YES

59.4%
  2. NO

40.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K4UUG

K4UUG Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like the opinion of the Licensed amateur radio operators, do you think a felon / sex offender is “lacking the requisite character qualifications to be and remain a licensee ? We are talking about crimes by Adult offenders not crimes by children offenders. Should a Sex Offender have an Amateur Radio License ?

YES OR NO

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. KK4JSJ

KK4JSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I voted yes for numerous reasons.

1. A convicted Felon could have simply wrote an out of State bad check back in the old days. There are a lot of different non-violent ways someone with a great personality, heart, and character could get a felony.
    2. A convicted sex offender could have been convicted on some seriously BS charges. Take the child molesters and the rapist out of this equation. In some areas of the country an 18 year old boy dating a 16 year old girl could be convicted as a sex offender.
    3. This leads to another issue.....how is one crime different than another except through the eyes of emotion?
    4. Once someone has been deemed to have paid their debt to society....why are they continually punished? I can see if their crime involved radio....but if it was unrelated...why bother?

We...including myself....tend to think criminals of one kind are much more dispicable than criminals of another sort. Then we get all offended when someone comes in and points out a different viewpoint.

So...I voted yes....if they want to...and they pass their exams..and they follow rules and gentlemen agreements on the air....why not?

3. W0DV

W0DV Ham Member QRZ Page

I vote no. I believe a qualification to hold an Amateur Radio license should be to have good character. A person prone to behave feloniously does not qualify. Ham Radio is something I enjoy sharing with others who work for a living, have good character, and do not take advantage of others.

Dave

4. K4UUG

Dave I agree with you it is all about good character.

5. N4AYZ

N4AYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think a convicted sex offender should be allowed to have a ham license provided his shack is in Sing Sing.

6. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I voted yes because I believe there are classes of offenders, including some sex offenders, that will be rehabilitated. We shouldn't be excluding people from ham radio based on a class but on the individual's merit.

7. KD3NE

KD3NE Ham Member QRZ Page

I like these threads, I remember when this subject was hashed out in a previous thread not that long ago. I would have done this differently though I would have created two public polls. First one would be " Should A Person Convicted Of A Felony Be Allowed To Have A Ham Radio License? " and the second would have been " Should A Person Convicted Of A Sex Offense Be Allowed To Have A Ham Radio License ? " Some people might have different answers for the two questions.

8. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

Shouldn't this be in the poll section?

9. KB9UWU

KB9UWU Ham Member QRZ Page

Um, I don't think it's fair to lump all felons to be in the same category as sex offenders. I'm sure most here will agree.

Theft is hardly the same as raping a child IMO.

10. K4UUG

JUST VOTE YES OR NO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.