Shipping to the lower 48 only..........

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by N4EYZ, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
  1. N4EYZ

N4EYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

So often I see fellas say the above in their ad listing. I even saw an ad today where a someone was listing a small and relatively inexpensive item and refused to ship it to one of the "other 2". And it wasn't a shipping included price. I don't understand this. My wife has an online business and we ship all over the world and it's really not difficult. Especially Alaska or Hawaii. Why the hesitation?
  2. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Scammers for the most part (as in fear of). There are a bunch of threads about this.
  3. N4EYZ

Ok--makes sense. I hadn't thought about that.
  4. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? Are there more scammers in Alaska and Hawaii?
  5. N2ADV

Of course not but it's a lot harder to say "Hey, I'll be happy to meet you somewhere so I know you're not a scammer" when the person is in AK or HI, isn't it?

I've done that when I know I'll be traveling to a given part of the country - "Hey, I'm flying to X next week and will be happy to meet you in person" has scared away more than one would-be scammer.

I keep forgetting where I'm posting.

6. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think that's the reason why many say "Lower 48" or "CONUS only". They'd word it some other way if that was what they meant. Most people on the west coast are happy to ship to someone in the east but are not likely to met them any time soon.

I think many people who specify those restrictions don't even know themselves why. They've just seen it in other ads and think it sounds important.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The only time I ever make that distinction is if shipping is "free" (included). It's LOTS more expensive
    to send pounds to AK and HI. Ounces, no big deal.

8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people are under the mistaken belief that it costs more to ship to AK & HI.

Granted, that may have been true at one time, and it may be a factor with certain shipping firms. If the item is going via the USPS, though, it isn't.

I ran into this a couple of years ago, when I was sending a new antenna to the USVI for my club's 10 meter beacon. As far as the Postal Service was concerned, it didn't matter if I was sending it across town or across the country, the price was the same (just took a little longer). Some of the other delivery services, well, their costs for PR & USVI were MUCH higher.

So someone may be thinking that since AK & HI aren't considered CONUS, and shipping (via some carriers) to certain US possessions is much more: therefore, it must cost more to ship to them.
  9. N4EYZ

That is not what I said nor what I thought. I was merely acknowledging the fact that I realize scamming is a concern. I had forgotten about the scamming issue prior to asking my original question. Why is there so often someone out there who will take a statement and twist it?:confused:
  10. N2ADV

11. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For some people the written word has to be reinterpreted to mean what they want it to mean. Then off in a wild tangent they go. The boogyman is hiding everywhere but especially in Alaska and Hawaii. Them thar foreigners are just a bunch of thieves trying to fool rich Americans into giving away their stuff or money. If possible, both!.
    The amount of charges by private delivery services like UPS and FedEx can be more costly. Some like to use those services since they are more handy. Ever try to send something via USPS if you don't have one of the inroad methods? Going to any post office is almost as bad as going to the DMV. At least at the DMV they give you chairs to sit on while waiting for your number to be called.
    There is also the matter of efficiency. I recently sold an item to a amateur located in the same state and used UPS to get it there. That cost over $25 which isn't cheap but they said they would get it there by the next day and I was at the local delivery center at 4:30PM packing it up. I e-mailed the fine fellow that purchased the item and told him it was supposed to be there by tomorrow and that I personally thought that was a very optimistic figure. We both agreed on that and we were both wrong. UPS did delivery it the next day, safe and sound. You can try to get that from the USPS and it does happen but don't hold your breath.
    The USPS costs are the same for anywhere in the USA but the other services don't have that constraint.
    If the purchaser is the one paying for the delivery then it shouldn't be a big deal.
  12. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

As you say, small, lightweight items (usually low co$t) can be sent via USPS, and destination within any U.S. area will cost the same as mailing the item across the street. But when the item is large or heavy, USPS usually isn't an option. Many amateurs feel that when the shipping charges outside the CONUS (such as KL7, KH6, KP4, Canada, etc.) are calculated and added, the original sales agreement will fall through, leading to additional headaches of having to list an item again.
  13. W1KU

W1KU Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. If restricting to regional sellers was the issue, we would see listings saying "will sell to 1- and 2-land only" or "6th call district only." I don't think I've ever seen such a listing. Even local-pickup-only listings don't care where you come from as long as you do the driving.

And if the buyer pays shipping, I don't see why shipping costs should deter a seller either. The AK/HI buyer knows what they are getting into if they are purchasing a boatanchor and the seller only ships USPS.
  14. KC8CTC

KC8CTC Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes...I shipped to Alaska...had a very nice Icom ic-575h that is a dual band 6/10 meter radio.....and packed it very well for the trip and guess was damaged..with no apparent damage to the box. Now waiting for radio to be returned to take to USPS and file claim. Have not had amny trouble with items restricted to CONUS. The postage was very high also.
  15. W7UUU

That's not at all correct! I can attest to a SIGNIFICANT difference, as I ship products to AK and HI all the time.

18 pounds via United Parcel UPS GROUND SERVICE:

To Boston from Tacoma, WA: $34.43

To Wasilla, AK from Tacoma, WA: $100.43

To Honolulu from Tacoma, WA: $49.64

18 pounds via Parcel Post:

To Boston from Tacoma, WA: $24.46

To Wasilla, AK from Tacoma, WA: $21.56 (VERY slow delivery - I never use PP to Alaska)

To Honolulu from Tacoma, WA: $47.28

Yes - the shipping rates regardless of carrier (with the exception of Parcel Post to AK) is
    SIGNIFICANTLY great going to Alaska and Hawaii than clear across the continent to Boston

Now, if the package fits within the First Class rules (13 ounces or less), yes it's all the same.
    But I picked 18 pounds as that would be an average weight for a radio device of some sort.

16. N4CYA

Some people don't want to deal with the shipping to a foreign country or Canada and Alaska. When I sell a item I don't mind selling to someone if they pay extra if they live in a foreign country if they agree to the shipping cost from USPS which is the cheapest out of FedEx.
  17. W7UUU

I gave up shipping outside the USA - since all the stuff I sell on eBay is shipped USPS, and paid online
    after the auction using Paypal, I don't have to wait in the forever long line at my local PO. I can just
    print the shipping postage, and drop it off. If shipping outside the US, there's all the customs forms
    to deal with and no option but to wait in the long line. Not to mention how many packages over the
    years got pilfered in places like Malta, Italy, and Greece (those were the WORST!)

18. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

Because I would drive to "the lower 48" to have a face to face with a scammer, drving to Alaska and Hawaii is very difficult.
  19. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW you can also print the customs forms on eithe Ebay or the USPS Web Site. Like it was said before if its small and light, or fits in a Flat rate Box, the USPS is Great, if not, get ready for Sticker Shock!

20. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

When I sell something on line I include shipping in the asking price and I do restrict sales to CONUS unless the buyer is willing to pay the extra to ship to AK or HI. USPS may have the same rates to each state but other shippers don't and are much higher cost outside CONUS. I have not had good luck with USPS and prefer not to use them
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.