Shipping to the lower 48 only..........

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4EYZ, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
  1. N4EYZ

N4EYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

So often I see fellas say the above in their ad listing. I even saw an ad today where a someone was listing a small and relatively inexpensive item and refused to ship it to one of the "other 2". And it wasn't a shipping included price. I don't understand this. My wife has an online business and we ship all over the world and it's really not difficult. Especially Alaska or Hawaii. Why the hesitation?

2. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Scammers for the most part (as in fear of). There are a bunch of threads about this.

3. N4EYZ

Ok--makes sense. I hadn't thought about that.

4. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? Are there more scammers in Alaska and Hawaii?

5. N2ADV

Of course not but it's a lot harder to say "Hey, I'll be happy to meet you somewhere so I know you're not a scammer" when the person is in AK or HI, isn't it?

I've done that when I know I'll be traveling to a given part of the country - "Hey, I'm flying to X next week and will be happy to meet you in person" has scared away more than one would-be scammer.

I keep forgetting where I'm posting.

*sigh*

6. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think that's the reason why many say "Lower 48" or "CONUS only". They'd word it some other way if that was what they meant. Most people on the west coast are happy to ship to someone in the east but are not likely to met them any time soon.

I think many people who specify those restrictions don't even know themselves why. They've just seen it in other ads and think it sounds important.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The only time I ever make that distinction is if shipping is "free" (included). It's LOTS more expensive
    to send pounds to AK and HI. Ounces, no big deal.

Dave
    W7UUU

8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people are under the mistaken belief that it costs more to ship to AK & HI.

Granted, that may have been true at one time, and it may be a factor with certain shipping firms. If the item is going via the USPS, though, it isn't.

I ran into this a couple of years ago, when I was sending a new antenna to the USVI for my club's 10 meter beacon. As far as the Postal Service was concerned, it didn't matter if I was sending it across town or across the country, the price was the same (just took a little longer). Some of the other delivery services, well, their costs for PR & USVI were MUCH higher.

So someone may be thinking that since AK & HI aren't considered CONUS, and shipping (via some carriers) to certain US possessions is much more: therefore, it must cost more to ship to them.

9. N4EYZ

That is not what I said nor what I thought. I was merely acknowledging the fact that I realize scamming is a concern. I had forgotten about the scamming issue prior to asking my original question. Why is there so often someone out there who will take a statement and twist it?:confused:

10. N2ADV

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.