ad: IACantenna-1

Shills in Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KA4DPO, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-innov
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I just read a review of the FT-5000 on Eham that I believe was a shill job. The reviewer seemed far more interested in promoting the K3 than reviewing the Yaesu radio. If you look at the specs on Sherwoods site the wide spaced dynamic range is within 1 db. That is so close that it requres sensitive test equipment to tell the difference. The specs on both radios are so good that it would be difficult to tell the difference between them in a side by side comparison even under brutal conditions.

So when I see a rambling diatribe that sounds fishy, by a call that is not listed in the QRZ database, I have to think the writer has an ulterior motive because the performance difference between those two radios is so slim that there is no way this guy could make such grandios assertions of one rig over the other. Gotta be a shill.

I guess the lesson here is to take Eham reviews with big grain of salt.

2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know what the TOP DXers and Contesters in our DX club and around SoCal are using. They all lean towards the K3. The K3 OVER the pricier, fancier and much prettier FTdx5000. Don't know why, but they must know something I don't. I find the K3 very spartan looking and plain. Not much more than a Kenwood TS-570D. So it must be PERFORMANCE. The K3 Kicks A$$! Just wish it was prettier and more WHIZBANG!

3. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

That is the popular position to take and for good reason.

Given the choice, I would grab the FTdx-5000.
    A radio should compel you to use it. It should make you want to turn it on and get on the air. The K3 isn't going to do that for me.

4. N9ZMO

N9ZMO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I find 'shills' all over the place, not just in Amateur radio. When reading reviews, I usually throw out the "1" and "5" star ratings and consider those in the middle for the most part. Usually, for me, therein lies the best data and reviews.

5. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

There are plenty of shills out there and it's a real problem. I wish there was a filter on eham reviews that would allow me to instantly filter out all reviews from the following people:

Those who have a relentless "loyalty" to one brand over all others, regardless of the quality of the gear
    Those who think that the newest, shiniest, most expensive gear must always be the best gear
    Those whose recommendations to others are meant to justify their own past purchase decisions
    Those who have no experience with a rig, but will recommend it to other hams simply because it's high on Sherwood's receiver list
    Those who buy a rig and are later disappointed when the rig turns out to do only what the manufacturer said it would do (and not necessarily what the buyer *wished* it would do)

And I'm sure we could add to this list!

6. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been a photographer for almost 50 years and your comments sound just like the reviews and comments about new photography equipment I read on the photo forums...

7. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

The reviews are great for finding out about chronic ills, if any, that the rig has, and not much more.

8. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This one really gets me....here are a few

• I can't get more than 100 watts out of it, so 2/5 is the best I can rate it.
    • The secret menu really helps. I can push 130 watts now
    • I was going to get one for myself, but after using my buddies once.....
    • It's junk

Or some such other equally inane comment ....

9. KB9UWU

KB9UWU Ham Member QRZ Page

Whew, thanks for the advice!!!

10. N8MSA

N8MSA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are probably shills on eHam, but the "fanboys" are just as bad - maybe worse.

For the record, I've had both in the shack at the same time. Both transceivers are excellent. People should try them, to the extent that they can, prior to purchase and ignore eHam (and most other reviews)...

11. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect I'm not alone in having both the 5000 and a K3. Both are more receiver than most people need but if I had to give one up, it would be the K3 simply because the 5000 is easier to use and I'm not interested in exerting effort while playing radio.

On cw which is my preferred mode, the receiver capabilities are equivalent so the purest might not find any real difference.

As to the eham review, it's just one opinion. Why make a big deal out of one opinion?

12. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had both the 5000MP 2 yrs the K3's less than a year sold 5000 & VL-1000 2 mo ago kept K3's for SO2R with auto tune Alpha amp and second radio an Elecraft KAP500 amp both radios very good no problems.

Now using Palstar HF-Auto for the Alpha waiting for my Alpha 4040 tuner to be del in Dec/Jan also waiting on the Elecraft KAT500 tuner del about a month..

I have no brand loyality as far as radios only to what is best now amps has become a slightly differently matter slanted a little toward Alpha quality really shows inside.

13. W1RFI

W1RFI Ham Member QRZ Page

The measurement uncertainty of either ARRL or Sherwood test set ups is more than a couple of db, so a 1-dB difference is meaningless. It has been very common to see a rig vary by 1 dB from the start of a test to the finish, especially with the really excellent rigs. A receiver with 105 dB of two-tone, third order dynamic range has an intermodulation that is .00000000398% of the receiver's dynamic range. A receiver with 104 dB of dynamic range has intermodulation distortion that is .000000000314% down. These tiny imperfections varying by insignificant amounts can result in dynamic range that varies by a tiny fraction of a percent.

All of these radios are tested with a sample of one and normal production variations can be more than 1 dB.

Ed Hare, W1RFI
    ARRL Lab

14. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

Never mind, I thought you said "skills" :(

15. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably one of the worst kept secrets regarding eHam Reviews are the mysterious, "disappearing reviews". I (as well as others) have written some real scathing ones before (it only happens with this kinda review) and within 24 hours after posting them.................Poof, gone forever.

I repost it & guess what? Goodbye again.

Tom KCØW

16. N5PVL

N5PVL Ham Member QRZ Page

Might as well go to TAPR ( Tuscon Amateur Packet Radio ) - to ask about packet radio.

17. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I bid on jewelry on eBay and was outbid, but the bid was "retracted". It was an obvious attempt to see what my top bid was. I won it at less than a dollar from my top bid. Since I bid what the jewelry was worth to me, I came out alright. Still the shilling was not very disguised.

18. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hot off the press on eHam, posted just a few minutes ago. Guy is reviewing his Icom 7800 complete with"blown finals, blown driver".

So what does he rate his $10,000+ radio. Why of course, the proverbial (& always popular) "five stars". :confused:

Tom KCØW

19. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

I once read an eHam review on a 706mkiig where the guy gave it a zero because it wasn't a contest radio. :rolleyes:

20. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup. Often an academic exercise in which sophisticated test equipment is the only thing that is able to detect any actual differences.

I don't feel the Sherwood findings are the final conclusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.