SharkRF OpenSPOT 2 digital hotspot review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Nov 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

To each his own.

If price is the only consideration, then there are tones of options out there--even a few that are a good bit cheaper than a Zumspot setup. If you lump size, shape, complexity of setup, and complexity of maintenance into function and capability, then the OpenSpot2 is quite a bit ahead.

Just determine what you value most, and make your choice.

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

The JumboSpot is the lowest priced alternative currently, I think. Still, after reading about it, I decided to wait.

I don't buy anything shortly after it's released. The OpenSpot2 appears to be a very nice device. A price difference of 100% sounds substantial at first, but it really depends on the base amount.

3. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got both the original OpenSpot and the OpenSpot 2 and both work great. I really could care less if it's more expensive than some others. It does what I want it to do, the set-up interface is a simple to work with and I'm used to it. Download the app for mobile use and making changes on the fly couldn't be easier. I'm very pleased with mine.

Pascal, thanks for doing the review. Well done.

KK4YPQ, KA4RUR, W4INT and 1 other person like this.
  4. KD0USA

KD0USA Ham Member QRZ Page

open spot 1 was good open spot 2 installed a works and don' t work WiFi
    its Added modes do not work . The worst part of this item is its company .
    They stuck it to the major ham stores in the USA had a Sale online sold the shark
    one for less than wholesale and Left US Sellers holding the bag. They have Little or No
    tech support and be careful what you wish for Happy Holidays

5. KA4RUR

KA4RUR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Had a Zumspot -- OpenSpot2 took all of 5 mins to setup -- Zumspot in my opinion was a waste of money for me.....

6. NM9X

NM9X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an original Openspot in the shack at home running 24/7 for last several months. What I like most about this hotspot is that the software allows saving "profiles" which I use to switch from cross-mode YSF-DMR on one profile and YSF FCS reflectors on another. Also I can switch between the profiles and change DMR TGs or FCS reflectors by DTMF from the front panel of my Yaesu radio.

The Zumspot looks cool and seems to work well for what it was designed to do but I found it doesn't have a provision for profiles and I can't use the DTMF to a similar functionality like the openspot. It's also slow when updating settings.

I think I will sell the Zumspot and get the Openspot 2.

KK4YPQ likes this.
  7. N0YG

N0YG Ham Member QRZ Page

With the Zumspot you almost need a college degree in engineering, directions say to go here then go there then change this and insert that. Maybe after 30 minutes it works if you didn't make a mistake. Then another 30 minutes trying to fine the problem. The Zumspot is BS. Openspot2 is definitely the way to go for simplicity.