Shameless bragging... 80/40m CW rig

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by K5DH, Mar 19, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a little 80/40m CW rig that I built a while back. It uses a 6AG7 oscillator and a 6146 amp. Power output is about 25 Watts. It's based on an old QST article (for the life of me, I can't remember the date). It has a built-in antenna relay with receiver muting contacts for single-switch T/R operation. I built this one using stuff that I had on hand. The chassis is an aluminum Bud box. The power transformer is from a Heath HW-16. The PA cage and Loading cap are from an HW-101. The Tuning cap is an E.F. Johnson part. The meter is WW2 surplus. The rig looks nice 'n old, except for the IEC-type AC line cord receptacle (it's a convenience thing). Since the photos were taken, I have added a bottom cover and feet.

I love building and operating stuff like this! :)

upload_2017-3-19_16-43-46.jpeg

upload_2017-3-19_16-44-3.jpeg

upload_2017-3-19_16-44-19.jpeg

upload_2017-3-19_16-45-22.jpeg

upload_2017-3-19_16-45-35.jpeg

upload_2017-3-19_16-46-2.jpeg

Dean K5DH

LU1AR, K4YND, ZS6AI and 14 others like this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nicely done!

W7UUU likes this.
  3. KB1WSY

KB1WSY Ham Member QRZ Page

Beautiful stuff! I was a bit thrown by the "Band Switch" label at the right of the front panel, then looked at the under-chassis view and spotted the slide switch mounted on the side of the rig, nice and close to the tank coil. The MOPA design is similar to my homebrew "W1TS" 6C4/5763 transmitter (the tank section in particular) but with beefier tubes.

[​IMG]

73 de Martin, KB1WSY

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    N2EY likes this.
  4. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Neat and clean. Vy old-school look.

5. W6ELH

W6ELH Ham Member QRZ Page

Very, very nice! Thanks for sharing! Jim... W6ELH

6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice to include the T/R relay, few Novice transmitters included that feature. :)

7. W0GSQ

W0GSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice Dean!
    Great reuse of the PA cage.

8. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice! It is certainly deserving of a lot of praise. Good Work!

9. WB0RIO

WB0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice build, it looks professional.

If you are using an older power transformer, it may be a good idea to use the 5V rectifier winding as a buck
    in series with the primary winding. Older transformers were meant to run on 115V and todays mains are
    usually 120-125V. The trick is to measure the filament voltage, if it is 7V or so, the tubes will run hot
    and will have a shorter life. If you add the buck winding, be sure to get the phase right, it will either lower
    or raise the output voltages.

LU1AR likes this.
  10. KB9LXP

KB9LXP Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the danger high voltage labels. Always appreciate the extra warnings when poking under chassis...NOT!

W7UUU likes this.