SETI- can amateurs hear sentient signals from outside our solar system?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA0USE, Jan 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. N5AL

N5AL Ham Member QRZ Page

With all the high tech searching by government scientists, wouldn't it be something if the first actual ET contact was an unexpected "medical net" check-in describing an itchy case of gothroids on his gizzlebland.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    WU8Y, WD4IGX and W4NNF like this.
  2. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever notice that many of the "advanced civilizations" depicted in sci-fi books and movies use swords as weapons?
    And shields always fail after a couple of hits?

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When you get to be 900, you won't be laughing about problems with your tentacles anymore. ;)

WU8Y, N5AL, KB4QAA and 1 other person like this.
  4. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

They get their steel from overseas too!

KD8DEY and KC8VWM like this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

You know... I have some neighbors who behave like aliens... maybe I should point an antenna at their house to see if I can figure out which star system they come from?? :cool:

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe Remulac. Do they have cone shaped heads? They'll say they are from France :)

KD8DEY, W0IS, WU8Y and 3 others like this.
  7. WR1O

WR1O Ham Member QRZ Page

If the universe is truly infinite then all possibilities must exist. That means everyone is correct!

8. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

And everyone is wrong.

9. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

WR1O said: ↑
    If the universe is truly infinite then all possibilities must exist. That means everyone is correct!
    KT1F said:
    And everyone is wrong.

KL7FZ said:
    Schrödinger's cat

10. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

No one will ever likely hear an extraterrestrial civilization on the radio and it is quite certain no extraterrestrial civilization will ever hear us.

The reason why this is the case is very simple, the sun is too bright. No signal we have produced on Earth is detectable outside of our solar system. Beyond the orbit of the planets the angular distance between the sun and Earth is effectively zero. The sun produces far more RF power on any frequency we've ever used, and detecting that at any distance outside of the solar system is impossible. Same goes for receiving a signal from any civilization that lives on a rock orbiting a star, if they produce any RF from the surface of a planet then their own sun would swamp out the signal.

To be detected at any stellar distance someone would have to modulate the output of a star. Or, perhaps, be far enough from any stars (as viewed from Earth) that the signal could be detectable. This signal would still have to be quite strong as there is background noise even from what we see as empty space.

I remember hearing that the Voyager probes were not sent in a direction that it might enter a solar system that might contain life. I thought this was a missed opportunity to perhaps be detected by some extraterrestrial civilization. Once I had this explained to me that our own signals would not be detected outside of the noise produced by the sun then I understood why the probes were sent to nowhere. I realized that had the probes been sent to any star system that might be populated then we'd be unlikely to ever detect the telemetry it sent back over the noise of it's destination star.

We aren't going to hear anything outside the solar system and nothing outside the solar system is going to hear us. Not on a radio at least.