Sending American cash to a DX station

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K5RHA, Jul 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5RHA

K5RHA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Definitely wouldn't make a habit of it. Makes me wonder, how much money he might make from hams sending him $2-3 at a pop for even 20% of his American contacts? Oh well.

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

I doubt that many would be sending for a card direct. He probably gets a lot of Bureau requests and that can be an expensive pain if the cards number into the hundreds or thousands annually.
    I'm manager for a Cuban station who is quite active and only get 2-3 direct requests per month. Most are from the USA with an SASE. I can't think of the last time any station sent money. If they do its usually via Clublog OQRS.

K5RHA likes this.
  3. K5RHA

That's good to know. I had thought it was common practice to send $2-3 to any DX station when wanting a QSL card in return for the one I'm sending along with a self-addressed envelope.

4. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was chasing cards (I have some really cool ones!) I would just send SAE to the ones I wanted, but I would throw in $2 to the ones I really wanted. Once you get a collection of a few hundred cards and start adding up all the money you have into chasing them, it turns out to be a bit of an expensive hobby. I am glad I did it. Especially now that it is getting harder to get real cards.

5. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why don't you just ask him this information during your contact.

If I am going to log the contact in my QRZ logbook, I will always ask "are you logging your contacts in your QRZ logbook". If yes then I will add the contact from my paper logbook. If I wanted to send a QSL card I would just ask him during the contact.

This has always worked well for me.
    73, Lisa

6. KP4SX

Well, that's true but not so many people would pony up $$$ for a card from Spain. There will be others. The bureau is slow but it will get you there for the more common countries.
    I send out quite a few 'green stamps' for cards I particularly want...sometimes to common countries so there's nothing wrong with that. Hopefully the EA will respond to your request. Good luck and Good DXing!

7. K5RHA

I would have but, he was going through contacts at a quick pace and I was just happy to have been able to log a complete signal report before he went on to the next contact.

8. KP4SX

There's a BIG difference in wanting a real QSL card versus a confirmation checkmark on some website.
    100% of my contacts get logged on LoTW, QRZ, CL, HRD and eQSL. No need to ask. If I want a card to put in my shoebox(es) I do as the other guy indicates I should. I don't look up his QRZ page during QSO although some do and might think to ask. I figure if the guy cares about paper cards (or not) he will indicate so on his page. If he doesn't maintain the page then who knows?
    One funny...I worked one semi-rare DX fellow who had a very interesting card pictured on his QRZ page. I figured it would look nice in my album/shoebox but he also announced that he would no longer send out paper cards because of the bother. I wrote and asked if there was any way possible to receive the card. He said he managed to find just one left and mailed it at no charge :)

9. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ask Mrs Google if USPS actually discontinued issuing IRC.
    International Reply Coupon purchased in US as first class postage (stamp value) to be exchanged at foreign country for first class postage (stamp). Little archaic relic when in some countries possession of US currency was a criminal offense.
    Also check if mailing / sending US currency via USPS is still illegal!
    I share OP excitement in working DX , especially if I recall correctly the station worked has stacked Yagis on 200 meters (?) "tower".
    Is the card exchange worth " the trouble" - on both ends?
    Cut the trouble in half and send QSL via (burro) - bureau.
    From past experience - if you include something extra , not just money , about yourself instead of just QSL - you chances about getting reply will improve.
    73 Shirley

W4IOA likes this.
  10. K4LRX

K4LRX Subscriber QRZ Page

In the past a dollar was enough payment for a direct return, over the years various changes, increased postal rates in foreign countries have forced the cost of doing business to two, and in some cases three dollars. Your best chance of getting a card is if the DX station has a qsl manager. Preference of course is stateside, this saves us all a lot of expense and just about is the only answer for direct qsls. I would suggest also use the bureau, the ARRL out going service, there is a small charge and it does give a good break for 100 cards or more. Additionally, use the incoming bureau, if you do not know who is running your stateside incoming bureau check ARRL website. Provide them with Manilla envelops addressed back to you, plus a couple of dollars postage on each envelope. I usual send about six at a time.

Use not only qsl managers, but bureaus as well, however the bureau is not fast, it may take up to a year for a response, but you do save money. As far as the trouble spots in the world that I do not qsl direct are Middle Eastern Countries and most of South America. OD5ZZ is pretty active has a state side qsl manager in Texas. Turn around time is pretty fast, plus W3HNK handles a lot of chores for DX stations. In using a stateside manager, send your card, plus an SASE and that is it. If you wish you may include a donation, but not necessary when going this route, it is up to you to send a donation, or just the required SASE. When I first started chasing DX paper cards were the only way to confirm a contact, I still find it much more rewarding to receive a paper card then a check mark, star or Asterisk, provide by the electronic means. You may want to join EQSL at least the old traditions of exchanging a card is maintained and you can print them for display in your shack.

I should mention one station that does qsl via EQSL and LOTW, but has not responded to direct requests for a couple of years, 9K2GS is active, works a lot of stations stateside, I am sure many have sent Green stamps in hopes of a direct qsl. Never happened, one day, someone is going to find a closet, trunk, big box stuffed full of Green stamps of all the stations that sent money in good faith and got nothing.

DX Expeditions still maintain a paper card service and I would suggest using the OQRS service most of these operations use, safest and the assurances of receiving a paper card are very high.

I suppose my worst case was I worked a station in China, a Canadian was the op, had the logs, said he would qsl. He took three years to get motivated, quite frankly really a poor attempt, Personally, I had worked China on 20 several times, but not on 40. I wanted the card. But, three years for him to move, not really great service at this point. The choice is yours, just depends on how much you want the card. Keep in mind also that most of the contest machines that show up once a year, rarely send any cards. Waste of money and effort to mail them since all they want is a high score in the contest. There are exceptions, but the ratio of return is pretty low. Oh, I agree with W7UUU do not indicate anything about ham radio when mailing to foreign hams, lots of thieves and many people who think we Americans are rolling in Green Stamps. Plus stations in Europe are pretty common, so if you never hear from one station, work another one. With exception of about six rare ones in Europe, the rest of the continent is pretty common. BTW Japanese are one of the best, and Russian hams were pretty good with qsling in the past.