Sending American cash to a DX station

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K5RHA, Jul 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K5RHA

K5RHA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've just begun working a few DX stations and most of them say on their QRZ pages that they do not participate in QRZ, eQSL, LoTW nor do they QSL direct. I'm sending them a card anyhow along with a self-addressed envelope. How much money should I include? For me sending a one-ounce letter it's only $1.15. Should I add $2, more or nothing at all?

Rick - K5RHA

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If they don't specifically say they'll send a paper card, I'd not send any cash. Follow the instructions they provide. More and more, stations are dropping paper card exchanges altogether.

But if you still want to do it, send $2 USD minimum. $3 USD is required from some countries. Very easy to look up a proper amount - just Google postage rates from that country to the US

IMPORTANT: Don't put any callsigns on the outside of the envelope! Don't even hint at it being a ham radio thing. Use a sheet of paper to conceal the QSL card inside. Many crooked postal workers around the world, and even here in the US, have gotten wise to "Greenstamps" in ham-radio-appearing envelopes and will think nothing of ripping it open to take the cash. If you're lucky, you'll get a "ripped envelope return" back (happened to me three times before I got wise).

Dave
    W7UUU

K7MH and K5RHA like this.
  3. K5RHA

Googling the postage rates is a great idea. About them saying they don't QSL in any manner isn't something I'd necessarily take as a hard fact, it may just be a spot that didn't get filled in. Like, they never signed up on QRZ so it says they don't participate and with no participation, they (QRZ) has no info about any other method of contacting them.

As for me, right now, I'm not put out by sending them a card plus envelope and $2-3. At this point I've only made a few dx contacts, a few in Canada, one in Russia, one in France and now one today in Spain.

I've heard there used to be a system of international postage that could be purchased that was 'universally' accepted. But, I've also heard it's not as popular or useful anymore.

Rick - K5RHA

4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That system was called International Reply Coupons (IRC). They are defunct in the US and many places around the world.

Why not try shooting them an email using their QRZ email address? Just ASK.

Sending out cash blindly is fine if you don't have great expectations for any sort of return, or hope that your cash isn't just stolen before it ever gets there. For some folks, $2 USD is a chunk of change but for others it's nothing. It's your money, your call to make - do what you feel you should do :)

Good luck and keep working that DX!! It's fun!!

Dave
    W7UUU

5. N6RGR

N6RGR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had pretty decent luck with DX stations that specify 2 green stamps or three green stamps to get a QSL card. I usually include the self addressed envelope and the green stamps (cash) should cover their postage costs.

Roger N6RGR

6. W7UUU

Yes but the OP states the DX stations specifically state they "Don't do direct"!! - he's sending the money blindly.... big difference and a big risk if cash is dear. No biggie if a few bucks lost isn't an issue.

Dave
    W7UUU

7. K5RHA

That was my first idea, but, of course, there is no email address listed. sigh. lol

The contact in this particular case is EA3JE . He was spending quite a bit of time calling for and receiving contacts in America this afternoon/evening. I was thrilled and amazed I got through with my 100watts and an omnidirectional vertical from Oklahoma.

I've looked up his call sign in various places and he seems to have some sort of record for..... overly big ears and extra strong signals going out. I'll hide three bucks along with a postcard in my letter to him and see what happens. Worst case, I'm out $4.15, a postcard and two envelopes. hihi

8. W7UUU

What does that mean? o_O

Good luck in your sending - I truly hope it works out. Spain is not rare DX so don't sweat it if you never hear back. You'll work lots more Spain over time.

Dave
    W7UUU

9. K5RHA

To me, it means, I had no expectation that my little 100 watts transmitter would make it from central Oklahoma to Barcelona Spain and get a 58 signal report back. I was expecting more like what I get when I work nets here in the states when I get anything from 21 to 59 depending on..... everything. lol

It could also just mean I'm jealous of his setup if he's really hearing and putting out power that well (legally).

10. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

If he doesn't say specifically that he QSLs direct then you are just gambling. In the case of this particular station he hasn't bothered to populate his QRZ page and I think the NO's under the details are default values so who knows? He does seem to be a 'popular' guy based on Lookups.
    You may get lucky but I wouldn't make a habit of doing that.

K5RHA likes this.