SEMAPHORE SIGNALING THROUGH THE YEARS

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA0USE, Sep 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W4ZD

W4ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, of course. That was immediate, accompanied by a loud chorus of "dammits." But had to buy a new keyboard for the laptop, too. Dammit. :p

2. WE4E

WE4E Ham Member QRZ Page

I was nine before I realized that Dammit wasn't my first name.

W4ZD likes this.
  3. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a "spud gun" for launching 2 oz sinkers over trees for antenna lines. Used it a few weeks ago to install one. The sinker went well over the tree and initially I couldn't find it. It went way over the tree and buried about a foot deep in our well soaked lawn. Big pieces of lead launched high land hard.

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

On my uncle's 1920 Scout membership card (tri-fold), there was both Morse and semaphore sections.

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

You and me both! Old(er) age ain't for the "young'uns," for sure! I often have to double, even triple check my replies here, and still an occasional error creeps through.:(

6. W4ZD

W4ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear yuh. :) First, the fingers are old and creaky. Then, when I proofread the post I have my (old) bad eyes to content with. Then there is the keyboard: full of old food, etc., and sometimes I miss a key and turn on NumLock, and the delete key on the numeric keypad doesn't delete, it inserts a dot/period. It's a wonder I can post anything. :p

7. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

i was thinking (i know, i shouldn't do that) and remembered the great wall of china having watchtowers to warn
    of the mongols coming.
    does hadrian's wall have towers to warn of the scots coming?
    two more steps- lighthouses (phares) send a warning to ships, and airports have beacon lights.

horns and drums have been used for centuries to signal.

8. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Semaphore would make a good metaphor for several things... even ham related! :eek::cool:
    But then, we generally like old stuff. We are...

9. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

While on the subject of old signaling devices, the heliograph deserves mention. Especially in areas like a desert with mountains on each side, distances over 50-miles were possible to cover. The British developed the system and used it extensively in India and in the Middle East. In this country, the United States cavalry used heliographs extensively in the southwest especially in campaigns against the various Indian ("Native Americans" for the politically correct) tribes.

Conversely, the various Indian tribes started using mirrors to communicate over long distances.

[​IMG]

Glen, K9STH

NL7W, KA0USE and KK5JY like this.
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

That's exactly why I use weighted tennis balls

K3KIC likes this.