ad: CQMM-1

Seeking volunteers for a special project

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K3FU, Feb 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K3FU

K3FU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been working for about a decade with a special volunteer team of national scope and influence devoted to ensuring the long-term survival of amateur radio. We have been attempting to accomplish this through public service as moderators/mentors/discussion leaders in the amateur radio community in the following areas of expertise:

- Staying informed
    - Practicing good reading comprehension
    - Forming logical arguments
    - Persuasion through influencing

We work in several spaces, including social media, blogs, seminars, and in-person guest speakerships.

About every few years, an opening comes up on our team, and we seek one or more talented and motivated individuals to augment our efforts. We are seeking candidates who hold an amateur radio license in good standing, and have at least a high school diploma or equivalent (GED or military service considered in lieu). If this might interest you, please contact me at your earliest convenience, and we can talk further about our requirements to see if this would be an appropriate fit for your talents, temperament, and time.

TNX ES 73,

Paul, K3FU

N9FM likes this.
  2. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Your call sign clearly reflects your loving concern for your fellow man. Had to ask special for it??

K8VHL and N6QIC like this.
  3. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

So you want a veteran that put there life on the line to keep this country free to come help you for nothing! OMG, Just pay the people. If they help you they deserve to get paid at least a minimum wage.

In California the minimum wage is now $11.00 an hour.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Would it be correct that after a decade your "special volunteer team" has a web site you could include in your posts ?

N6QIC likes this.
  5. K3FU

K3FU Ham Member QRZ Page

The suffix is the tail code for an F-97 Sabre fighter plane. It's also mentioned in a favorite quote from the play and movie "The Odd Couple":

"You leave me little notes on my pillow. I told you a hundred-and-sixty-eight times I can't .. stand .. little notes on my pillow! 'We are all out of Corn Flakes. -F.U.' It took me three hours to figure out that 'F.U.' was Felix Unger!"

Yes, it was a vanity callsign application, to shorten from KD3FU.

6. K3FU

K3FU Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are sincerely interested, message me, either on QRZ, or via my callbook e-mail address, and I'll send you the links.

I may have one volunteer already, but could keep you in mind if another opening comes up in the future.

7. K3FU

K3FU Ham Member QRZ Page

Lisa,

This is a volunteer position, and the scope of duties are probably a couple of hours a week. We are based in the Midwest.

8. N6QIC

So offer to pay them for 2 hours a week, that is $22.00 a week here in California.

There is no such thing as a volunteer. I fell for that once, helping people every day for over a year. When it was Christmas time I had no food to eat and I had to ask my self "Why am I working for them for free".

The answer is because I was stupid!
    If I work for someone I deserve to get paid for my work. Just because it is ham radio does not change anything.

73, Lisa

N2NH likes this.
  9. W9RLG

W9RLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, by the way for a very long time military service members have had to either have a GED or a HS diploma. Amateur radio is what it is. Few people give a rats you know what about it now days except those that are into it. Why do you expect service members to give there time for free??? Everybody wants something for nothing now days seems like to me!! Good luck!!

Bob

N6QIC likes this.
  10. K3FU

K3FU Ham Member QRZ Page

In particular, volunteers on our team must be committed to working to detect and take countermeasures against the types of abuse that poison public forums and render them unusable. Here is a short list of categories that we have come up with over the years:

Abuse could reasonably include:

- Ad-hominem attacks (versus criticizing specific actions)

- Terroristic threats

- Name calling (to include insulting and unwanted nicknames)

- Prejudice, bigotry, and/or stereotyping

- Excessively condescending rhetoric (e.g., "poor baby", "tsk tsk",
    etc.)

- Forgery or froggery with the intent of fraudulently misrepresenting
    the identity of that of an other person

- Willful or careless falsehoods intended to start an argument or
    cause harm

- Webster's (Oxford's?) Dictionary games, aka definitions abuse, or
    "Humpty Dumptying". This usually consists of trying to use private
    non-consensus definitions of terms, absurd examples, and oxymoronic
    situations to manipulate the debate, in a transparent attempt to
    trick others into looking stupid.

- False accusations or broad characterizations of others meeting the
    legal definition of libel

- Feeling entitled not only to their opinion, but their own set of
    facts

- Consistently trying to get in the last word just for the sake of
    doing so, including tit-for-tat escalation

- Fillibuster or "Grease" (denial of facts, extending debate without
    rejoinder, misdirection and unwarranted changing of the subject,
    wasting others' time, etc.)

- Excessively repetitive and vexatious "agenda" posting without
    anything new to add

- Blatantly off-topic content

- Inciting or defending blatantly unlawful behavior (vs. reasoned
    debate over whether some action is, or should be, lawful or not)

- Flooding

11. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

What are you trying to do? Put QRZ forums out of business?

K0OKS, K2CD, VA3AQB and 5 others like this.
  12. K3FU

K3FU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm pleased to report that our team has found two interested and motivated volunteers. If there are any others, I would be happy to consider keeping your name in reserve in case another opening comes up.

In response to questions, our team obeys all laws, cooperating closely with service providers, site administrators, and law enforcement, to help monitor and control violations of the law, cyberbullying, and fraud. We follow many of the overall principles of Neighborhood Watch, the Guardian Angels, or even the ARRL Official Observer program, only in an on-line setting.

For those who could not volunteer due to time or economic reasons, we would still appreciate your support.

73, Paul, K3FU

VA3AQB likes this.
  13. KG4EYY

KG4EYY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you paul and your team for all that you do

K3FU likes this.
  14. N6QIC

So where is this website that you and your team of moderators are running?
    Please post the URL so we can take a look.

Ok, looking at post #6 I se that it is some sort of secret website.
    Never mind,

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    W2CPD, N6HCM and K3XR like this.
  15. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha ha ha ha! Where were you in the BBS and NNTP days? All that's been going on for a long time.

Well, good luck, hope your efforts make a difference.

Meanwhile, obxkcd:

https://xkcd.com/386/

K3FU and N6QIC like this.