ad: GNOHF-1

SDRplay RSP2 with FT-857D

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by WA7F, Mar 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m about to pull the trigger on a RSP2 for the go kit. Since the 857D is not known for having the best receiver I intend to use the RSP2 for RX on HF and V/U with shared antennas. So a few things come to mind; a) not destroying the RSP2 when transmitting or someone nearby is transmitting, b) having the 857D track the RSP2 frequency, c) when operating digital modes, use the 857D for TX and the RSP2 for RX.

So my thoughts and gaps for implementation are:
    a) Add TX/RX relays and a front end protection circuit to the RX side of both rigs. I still need to dredge through the 857D manual to see if TX delay is available. (Will also use a BCB filter and Bandpass filters.)
    b) Install and learn how to use Omni Rig.
    c) It seems possible but, need to do some homework. Is anyone doing this?

What am I missing? I like to do things right the first time around rather than smacking myself on the head and starting over.

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ makes an SDR antenna switch box, has both RF detect and hard switch from the 857 TX line. Reviewed in March QST. Look for MFJ-1708B.

Enjoy!

3. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you but, Im not a big fan of MFJ products. I’d rather just buy a couple of microwave relays.