SDRplay RSP2 appears to be useless on Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by KK4NSF, Nov 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

While my SDRplay RSP2 works very nicely on WIN7, it appears to be all but useless on Ubuntu v18+. The problems relate to installing the SDRplay drivers. The SDRplay folks do have a very nice step-by step guide for installing them..... unfortunately there are a few problems:

1- to download the correct driver you have to select the serial number series from a drop-down box then fill in the last few digits. However the serial number range for my particular radio is not listed in the drop down box.
    2- once you get the closest driver downloaded, it doesn't run. It TRIES to run, but then encounters "invalid characters" and stops..... and without the drivers, she the software doesn't recognize it.

While I'm sure there is a work-around, it is listed nowhere on the SDRplay website. So, for the moment I'm disappointed with SDRplay. It's a great little radio, but appears to be poorly supported on Ubuntu.

2. KK4NSF

3. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hm that must be something new. I never had to enter a serial number on the SDRPlay web site for downloading a driver.

I recommend to join the SDRPlay forum at https://www.sdrplay.com/community/
    The SDRPlay customer support is participating there and very helpful.

But it's true, it can be a bit painful to get things up and running on Linux. I am using Kubuntu 18.04 BTW.

4. KK4NSF

ok... nope. The SDRplay scripts will not run. As far as I can tell, the SDRplay Drivers are not compatible with the latest version of Ubuntu.

My conclusion is this: if you run Windows, then the SDRplay is great. If you run Linux (and I'm an old hand with various forms of Linux) then until the SDRplay folks improve their drivers this radio is not for you. As I said, I'm very disappointed

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  5. KK4NSF

Here is their Linux install page: http://www.sdrplay.com/gslin2.php

If you follow the instructions there, you get an unworkable installation. Thank goodness it was on a clean install.... otherwise I'd have to go through my system and figure out which piece of bad code was screwing things up. It is due to problems like this that folks stay away from Linux, and I don't blame them. If developers can't get their act together, I wish they'd not put their stuff out there. All it tends to do is piss off prospective users.

At the moment, I'm going to walk away from my computer out of frustration with the problems.... and am taking back all of the nice things I said about SDRplay.

6. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

I am running SDRPlay driver version 2.13. This is not the latest version, but it supports all single tuner RSPs. I did not try the 3.01 version because I see no advantages for my RSP1A and since they changed the driver architecture, I expected problems. I built soapysdr from source from their git repo, so this should be quite recent.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Linux requires that you have a bit of knowledge to make things work.

It is not for everyone and is not plug and play like Win7.

Why not just use Win 7 if it works for you ?

No disrespect, Never give up for a small needed tweak that is not in the instructions. ;)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  8. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

hmm, not my experience at all. Ubuntu 18.10 x64 on core i7. But, RSP1, not 2 like yours.

All we need is HDSDR for a spectrum analyzer. Appears to work fine.

Honestly, why do you want to run it on Linux? Sdr-radio and sdr-console are the best around, windows only.

I agree that their closed source driver is a big deal. But at least they published the API, and the interface appears to be reliable.

I made an AM BCB with gnu radio in about an hour. Just fooling around.

Again, what's your application?

9. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Wasn't this the out that had counterfeit products sold and said they would not support the fraudulent equipment - I would assume by serial number....

I could be wrong, but
    https://hackaday.com/2018/05/20/hackaday-links-may-20-2018/

Problem: a few of these units were stolen from a warehouse, and are winding up on eBay. Solution: SDRPlay has decided to disable the specific receivers ‘via the serial number’. In a move just slightly reminiscent of FTDIgate, a manufacturer has decided to brick products that are stolen or infringe on IP. It’s a solution, but I wouldn’t want to be on the customer service team at SDRPlay

Could you have one of these units?

W1TRY likes this.
  10. KK4NSF

I've been writing modules and drivers for Linux since Red Hat first came on the market, and run Sci-Linux (Fermilab) as my regular op system. It's not a "knowledge of Linux problem". My guess is that there are some kernel files that are conflicting with the v3 drivers. Some of the available documentation mentions blacklisting some files.... but doesn't indicate which ones. I have no doubt that I can get it to work, but in this case it may not be worth the effort.

I think my next step is to stop using Ubuntu, and just bring up the drivers from source code on Scientific Linux. If I'd have done that from the start, I'd be running already.

that's a simple one: we need the horsepower of our large Linux MOSIX system to crunch the raw spectrum data numbers we plan to generate in real time. While I certainly can do it in WIN7, I'd rather have the programming freedom of Linux... without having an intermediate conversion step in the data stream.

not unless Ham Radio Outlet was the culprit. ;)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    KA9JLM likes this.