ad: w5yi

SDRPlay and Linux

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by KC3SWL, Jul 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I did ( re ) install pulse audio as there were several utilities and files missing when I searched.

Note I am trying to use alsa and am just trying to play a youtube video to test the audio. I did try CubicSDR after reinstalling pulse buy thought to go with the defaults to just try to get some sound out some device.

2. KA2CZU

well, as of today, whatever I've done trying to get CubicSDR (and general audio out) working, has broken whatever I had setup for WSJT-X.

WSJT-X "hears" via the usb cable but does not "output" audio to my rig.

I've got to fundamentally understand what usb ports are connected to what cables and what drivers are supposed to be driving
    audio... I just have a big gap in understanding, which is preventing me from troubleshooting this at all.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I use PuTTY to login from my PC and WinSCP to backup files before I start playing with settings.

I can do everything from my easy chair over my LAN, Except swapping hardware or the SD card.

How are you manipulating your RPi ? You should make it easy on yourself. ;)

To late to give up now. :) You can make it work, And learn a lot.

4. KA2CZU

I usually sit in front of it with a wireless keyboard and a usb mouse. It's not too bad.

Ok just now, for kicks, I started up CubicSDR ( after having screwed around with WSJTX trying to get that to work).

I pair up the bt speaker and kick off CubicSDR. Tune to a good fm signal and lo and behold, I hear music blasting out of my ear buds laying on the desk plugged into the usb dongle.

That likely answers the WSJTX problem but the whys and wherefores of everything is still TBD ... LOL

KA9JLM likes this.
  5. KA2CZU

so on my RPi3: CubicSDR works, WSJT-X works, I still don't understand the audio device mappings :D

Seriously, I was playing around with settings on WSJT-X... at one point, I had the output going
    to an HDMI speaker in the small touch screen (which I didn't even know existed),
    but eventually got it routed to a usable port on the
    audio dongle (actually have 2 dongles connected... one had a headphone, and the other has the
    in/out audio for my IC706 xgcomms cable for digital interfacing). Still can't find the "right" audio
    dongle. But now I'm going to back everything up as is, before playing around to get that "right".
    For my next feat, I'm going to try to get a CAT interface to an FT-817 working with Gpredict, but
    that will be a battle for a different thread :D

And eventually, I'm getting another RPi... probably 4... to handle multiple tasks, but for now just trying to get this one finished up! Can save the image and either use it on the new one, or start from scratch again.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  6. KA2CZU

ok, I've used PuTTY many times... not WinSCP. For backing up a linux setup, what process do you
    find to be "best" to save everything? ... a find blah blah from root to create a taz.gz backup? or ??

I was thinking of trying to save the entire SD card image, as is, but given I have the Pi physically
    mounted on the screen, getting to the card is a bit of pain, so looking for some easy and "effective enough" backup method. Just your thoughts, please! :D

7. KA2CZU

I've not done much with CubicSDR except to tune to local FM stations to get it to work. Still have to move on to actual ham use, but have a to do a backup of everything "working" right now, then play around more. I'm trying to decide on what
    this RPi will be dedicated for. If I understand everything and "get it working" right, I may feel comfortable enough switching
    apps for different uses (eg HF digital vs. Ham Satellite vs. capturing weather Sat images etc).

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I normally use WinSCP over SSH to backup everything because my everyday computer that I set at is Windows 7.

And I use Win32DiskImager for working with the SD card image.

I agree that those micro sd cards are a pain. I have lost them fiddling with them.

There is a way to put a image on the RPi3 SD that will let you boot the OS from a USB thumb drive. So then you just swap USB drives to change the system.

I think the RPi 3 B+ has USB boot built in. But I have never used it. Sure sounds handy.

9. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Robert, are you using pulseaudio or alsa? I've never tried it on an RPi (only my ubuntu boxes), but can you install Pavucontrol? That utility makes it really easy to see what sound software is creating and or listening to, and what hardware is creating sound (or listening for it). Maybe everything is working just fine and this can help you map what audio goes where.

BTW, I am using VNC to connect to most of my Pi's when I need GUI support. Raspbian includes a server for free.

https://www.realvnc.com/en/raspberrypi/

10. KA2CZU

Roy,

Honestly I don't know how/what audio I'm using (not sitting at the Pi right now, but even still)... I definitely have Pulseaudio installed and it was required for CubicSDR
    to run, so I assume that's what I'm using. At least in that app. Also, just using the browser, going to youtube and playing any video... or for other "sound"... nothing comes
    out anywhere. The sound I have gotten has been by hunting and pecking on the dropdowns in the various apps (CubicSDR and WSJT-X specifically). Any attempt to use
    the volume controls on the upper right of the main GUI seems to be ineffective.

Is alsa the "default" audio driver when you install a fresh {whatever version of raspbian linux I'm using} instance? How does that relate to Pulseaudio?
    And when mapping usb devices... how are those mapped to devices.

It's been over 20 years since I looked at this level of device drivers in any version of *nix, no less linux.

edit: yes VNC works fine