ad: UR5CDX-1

SDR (SOFTWARE-DEFINED RADIO)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by CN8VO, Nov 8, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. CN8VO

CN8VO Ham Member QRZ Page

Software-defined radio (SDR) is a radio communication system where components that have been typically implemented in hardware (e.g. mixers, filters, amplifiers, modulators, demodulators, detectors etc.) are instead implemented by means of software on a personal computer, lap-top, tablet or mobile phone.

Software-defined radio using analog-to-digital converter (ADC) and some form of input RF cirquit (for SDR-receiver), or input-output circuit (for SDR transceiver).
    http://www.qsl.net/z33t/sdr_eng.html

N1GKE likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Uhhh....this is 'news' because....

3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Because we landed on the moon recently?

4. AF7EC

AF7EC Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe the OP just discovered it and wanted to share?? Hmm... :confused:

5. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi ABDO!....(CN8VO)...

I believe in a few years, most of the transceiver will be using SDR. This is especially needed, for where most of the growth in ham radio, which is in suburban location. The noise that is inherent to these locations (Like mine), has a real disadvantage when working weaker signals. Using the current DSP's to eliminate the noise works to far down stream in the transceiver (Audio)....

FYI (I worked for RTM!)

Best

NN2X Tom Wright (My wife is Maghrebi!) check my QRZ site

6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Umm, No! SDR is not defined where the software is implemented, though it has been difficult for years to get hams to understand that SDR does NOT require an outboard Personal Computer for processing and user interface. We are finally seeing SDR radios with typical radio controls.

7. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

Not every ham has an all-in-one radio. For example, my SDR is a combination of a SoftRock Ensemble II HF Rx and Linrad DSP software running on a Linux computer.

8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Huh? I am making the point that SDR is not defined by using outboard PC"s for processing and/or user interface, as so many hams have misunderstood for years. Secondly that fully integrated SDR radios with typical ham radio controls are now in the market place.

9. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, understood. :)

10. AC3DB

AC3DB Ham Member QRZ Page

VERY GOOD POST. THANK YOU FOR SHARING.

LU7DLS and CN8VO like this.
  11. K5VOU

K5VOU Ham Member QRZ Page

Now someone needs to come up with a Software Defined Antenna!
    (That works at roof level and has lots of directionality. :D)

AF7EC likes this.
  12. N1GKE

N1GKE Ham Member QRZ Page

Good afternoon Ardo and thank you for your post. I would first like to apologize to you for those who contribute nothing useful to your post in return, the ignorance shows.
    Like a lot of other amateurs I try to stay abreast of current technological events, SDR being one of them. As a Volunteer Examiner I have to transport material to each test session
    for folks who are just entering the hobby with much enthusiasm. The best way to enjoy a steak after all is one bite at a time.
    Keep up the good work my friend. Who knows, one of these days we will connect via JT-65 or JT-9.

de Myrton (Myrt) - N1GKE -

13. K6BRN

K6BRN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Software Defined Antenna.... I suppose that would be a digital beamforming phased array... already exists. But the beamforming and element power math are done in ASICs (or FPGAs for smaller ones) - need LOTS of parallel computing horsepower for this - not a PC.

The future is here, yesterday.

Brian - K6BRN

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Myrt,

Read the forum guide on posting NEWS please.

It is presumptuous of you to apologize for others who did nothing wrong. I take pride in pointing out that your time and my time is valuable, and we depend on QRZ to provide us with NEWS that relates to ham radio.

There is nothing in this post whatsoever that qualifies as NEWS. I am VERY INTERESTED in SDR and NEWS relating to it. But this is just a post linking an informational post which is not containing ANY NEWS.

Put it in DISCUSSIONS or TECHNICAL FORUMS--and if you have something technically NEW to say, THEN PLEASE put it up here in NEWS.

This is not it.

OK?

Chip W1YW

15. CN8VO

CN8VO Ham Member QRZ Page