SDR Receiving on iPhones and iPads with apps from the appstore

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by K1LPI, Jan 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
  1. K1LPI

K1LPI Ham Member QRZ Page

There are two apps in the Apple App store that allow you to stream SDR data (I/Q data) from RTL-SDR dongles and Airspy HF+ SDR receivers. They are "SDR Receiver" $9.99, and "rtl_tcp SDR" , $9.99.

Both apps make use of the computing power and displays of these powerful IOS devices and require the use of an external server running a dongle or HF+ sdr receiver to provide the I/Q data stream. That is because there is currently no other way to get the data from USB SDR devices into a lightning port and IOS does not support drivers for these devices. A work-around is needed.

The easiest way to do this is with a Raspberry Pi computer using the RTL-SDR library and rtl_tcp utility. Similarly the HFP_tcp server can stream data from an an Airspy HF+ device. Data can be streamed over the WiFi Lan from the Pi to the iPhone or iPad. Another approach is to use a Windows machine running SDR# and use the SDR utilities rtl_tcp as with the Pi. Both authors have help pages to assist you in setting up these servers.

Live real time demodulation of signals is done in IOS on your device. Monitor local repeaters, listen to aircraft, AM and FM broadcast, and what ever frequencies your SDR device covers. Give it a try.

Disclaimer: I have been a beta tester for both apps. I do not receive any compensation for beta testing and have no financial interest in either app. 73 de K1LPI

2. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Which one works with the Airspy HF+?

Edit: Found it, it is SDR Receiver. But caution, it only supports AM and FM demod.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019