ad: portazero-1

Screwdriver auto controllers - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KC8QVO, Feb 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

With a good screwdrivers, just listen for the noise and you're in the ballpark right away.
    Easy
    If that is too hard to do just get a SDC-102,
    And set the presets.
    Remember, The best antenna is one that is "In The AIR & On The AIR" K0UO Rhombic and Vee Beam Antenna Farm. https://www.k0uo.com

2. KE4IAJ

KE4IAJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It is easy. But hitting the tune button is easier, faster, and more accurate. Plus allows more attention to driving when moving which is the most important reason for me.

3. KE4IAJ

Alan, isn't that how the TennaTronix TurboTuner-2 works?

4. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, sort of. The problem with the TurboTuner is the switched full-wave diode bridge used to control the motor. The max current is about 1,500 mils, and are subject to RFI issues. And, since the bridge doesn't short out the motor leads when switched off, there is some coasting of the motor which can cause tuning issues with some screwdrivers.

5. KE4IAJ

Just received the TurboTuner2 in yesterday for my IC-7100 and setup and installed it in about 10 minutes. I must say it was well worth the money if not just for being able to give more focus to the road.

Time will tell but so far much better than a rocker switch only. I like the fact that it uses the radio to power it, and uses the SWR meter built into the 7100 so you don't have to use the antenna connections on the TurboTuner2 at all. 73

6. KA2MBE

KA2MBE Ham Member QRZ Page

The TuneMatic resolution is dependent on the pulses per rotation on the antenna. Typically with the TarHeel model 100, 300, etc (which has approx 940 counts from one end to the other in 19" of travel), the resolution is 0.012", which relates to 1/2 of a pulse count. Seems like very little, but when tuning 80-160M bands, 1/2 a pulse count can cause the SWR to change from 1.01 to 1.5. The TuneMatic also slows down when the SWR gets below a set point, so that it can fine-tune for the best match. Other products do not slow down. It also contains dynamic braking, so that when it stops, it stops dead.

7. KA2MBE

KA2MBE Ham Member QRZ Page

Alan,
    You need the remote head to activate the tune function. It also allows you to fine-tune, park, stop, re-tune, store, and other functions. One could utilize the unused pin in the interface to activate the tune function, by grounding this pin momentarily, but this is not advertised in the manual.

8. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It is my understanding that the tune button on the transceiver is supported. If not, I stand corrected. And, if it isn't, why not?

The old BetterRF tuner used the transceiver's tune button, and didn't need any jogging to get the best tune. I can't imagine any late-model controller being less capable.

9. WQ6N

WQ6N XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the same setup and the TT2 does its thing without error. Including parking the antenna.
    Actually, I have two TT2's one for icom and the other for kenwood. I also had a AMCOM for some time but they are long gone now.
    The only challenge that I had is the address for the tuner had to be changed when using the mobile for ARDOP with the embedded soundmodem. With the IC7100 front panel menu, it was trivial.

10. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

DITTO here; two thumbs up!