Screwdriver antennas.

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by N0IOP, Oct 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I did some "antenna shootouts" of my own, once upon a time. Distance was 120 miles. 125 watt mobile rig. Vertical mobile whip was unreadable to weak. Mobile whip brought to horizontal was readable. Horizontal wire (around 1/4 wave length) replacing the whip was the best. Multiple freqs tried, not ham bands. Results were repeated on different occasions.

Also tried man pack whip (no-go), man pack whip with counterpoise (readable) and dipole (strong signal). All 20 watts. Fun stuff.

Al

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think a lot of folks here should buy an ARRL Handbook, and read the chapters on propagation. Next, download the EZNEC application, and learn how to properly model their mobile antenna. Then, review what you've written here.

3. N0IOP

N0IOP Ham Member QRZ Page

If something works in the field but is theoretically impossible, then the theory needs to change.

4. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The issue isn’t the theory. It is the understanding of the theory which is in question. In other words, you’re taking a phenomena and applying an anecdotal reason. But in this case, the reasoning is incorrect.

As I alluded to, the ARRL Handbook has a very good treatise on the subject. You might look at Rudy Severns’ (N6LF) article on same as well.