Scorpion Antennas SA6-160 with a TARGETtuner controller.

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by AA0AE, Jun 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AA0AE

AA0AE Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone set this up Scorpion Antennas SA6-160 with a TARGETtuner controller. that would like to share what you have done to integrate the two systems. here is what i am thinking.

I am working on settup the TARGETuner up with my scorpion SA6-160 antenna. having trouble getting the tuning coil control wired in my mind. in what i am reading that i need a line for motor control, a separate line for the reed switch, and a line to switch the shunt coils. Does this sound right?
    Dave
    AA0AE

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You are correct, and you also need to choke each pair.

3. AA0AE

My antenna came with the 80 - 160 switch and motor control (up and switch) are in same cable, can i just add and choke the reed switch cable, or 3 choked and specific cables?

4. K0BG

I talked with Ron about this several times. If your aim to make your mobile one of the best, then choke each pair separately. You can try using the complete cable, but you end up with somewhat more distributed capacitance in the choke. Whether that hinders you remains to be seen. For me, I just don't like doing thing over.

5. AA0AE

Thank you
    will do as you suggest!
    AA0AE

6. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have scorpion older model I suppose.

Are they all coming 160 capable now?

7. AA0AE

QUOTE="KK4YDR, post: 4727351, member: 671049"]I have scorpion older model I suppose.

Are they all coming 160 capable now?[/QUOTE]
    The sa160 i think has to be special ordered. Best thing i can say is give them a call! Ron works 3days a week at an outside job, so you may not get an answer on days that he is at work.

8. K0BG

Actually, it is 7 on, 3 off. The latter is devoted to building antennas.

9. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought about using a tuner such as the Turbo Tuner or the MFJ / Ameritron. What I do not like about them is the fact that if you are re-tuning from say 20 to 80 meters, the rig is putting out RF all the time the coil is moving. So I just use the switch Ron provided and tune to maximum noise.

10. K0BG

You're correct in most cases. One of the "thoughts" behind most of the new batch of controllers, was to use the turns counter to get the antenna close to the resonant point. Sounds like a worthy goal, but the reed switches are typically normally closed, and a magnet opens them momentarily. However, the capacitance in the wiring, and the slow response of the CPU within the controllers, often causes a race problem to occur, which means pulses are missed. MFJ tries to get around this, by resetting the turns counter during the "park" function. Great idea, but that idea doesn't work well either. The TuneMatic sort of gets around this by using a manual override, which defeats the whole idea of "automatic" retuning.

One way around the whole scenario is to switch to a stepper motor-type controller, but you end up spending more money for the controller than you did for the antenna! There has been three attempts to do this (that I know of), and none ever took off.