Scammer pretending to be Gary KA3FZO

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KC9RF, Feb 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC9RF

KC9RF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Story
    I KC9RF replied to an ad on QRZ re-guarding a flex 6300 stating that if the deal fell through
    contact my email KC9RF@arrl.net. About an hour later I received an email from

ka3fzoo@gmail.com BEWARE!!!!!! note the extra O in email address

who says he is Gary and has a flex 6300 of course at a really good price
    1115 shipped red flags went up. so I got a email 3 days later giving me the info I asked for
    which was serial #, age and pictures. Probably off another web site.
    Anyway I found the real Gary's phone # called him to see if he might be aware of the scam.
    Yes he is and says he needs to get this posted. Thus this post is for him

2. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't put an email address in a QRZ ad. If the buy is legit and has a QRZ account they can get your email address from your QRZ callsign data. If you must include an email address in your ad use a secondary general-type email address. Scammers can read ads without logging in.

3. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I called him about it on the other thread and he happened to be communicating with QRZ staff. He lives just east of me.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

N6QIC likes this.
  4. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

5. KD4MOJ

Very good idea Lisa. I"ll mention that to him.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

N6QIC likes this.
  6. K6JRO

K6JRO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just received an unsolicited email from someone claiming to be Gary Alberstadt (no call sign) selling a Kenwood TM-D700a. He is using email: ham4gary@outlook.com. I asked him to confirm his full name and in keeping with QRZs policies to send a picture of the rig with his call sign. I have received no further communications from him.

7. KA2FIR

He hasn't updated his QRZ bio with a disclaimer or added an email address to his callsign data.

8. JT1CS

JT1CS Ham Member QRZ Page

KC9RF Thank you for your warning. An hour ago, I received an email from Gary Alberstadt, ka3fzoo@gmail.com. He offered me KPA500/KAT500. I replied to him without knowing him as spam. :-(

The real Gary should put his email address in his qrz.com page.

Batu, JT1CS

Attached Files:

9. KA2FIR

How did they get your email address from your QRZ callsign data? They have to be logged in to QRZ to read that.

10. KD4MOJ

I just spoke with him again this morning and he is going to update his bio page. He got deployed with Red Cross to Ohio . I told him about the latest posts here.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

JT1CS likes this.