Scammed!!!

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by WB2IOL, Apr 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: DLSpec-1
  1. WB2IOL

WB2IOL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If you paid using Paypal "Goods and Services" you should have no problem getting a refund for fraud

Did you pay using "Friends and Family"? If you did, yep - you've been taken. There is no recourse if you did.

Was this something advertised here on QRZ?

Good luck

Dave
    W7UUU

3. WW1SS

WW1SS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think everyone selling or purchasing on here should be verified. You should also have to be verified to respond to an ad on here. That might cut down the scammers. I get a persons phone # and call them and chat on the phone for 10 minutes or so before buying anything on here. If they don't want to give their # See Ya. . . I also always pay with a CC via paypal as a guest . . . I don't sign into paypal so If scammed I can dispute with CC company.

4. WB2IOL

WB2IOL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He talked me into using Friends and Family; I had no idea it didn't offer protection. The item was listed on QRZ, QTH and EHAM.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks Elan. Very sorry to hear - I just sent you a PM with a question regarding this.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER pay with Friends and Family - unless the person is literally a friend or family member, and then only for sending cash (birthday gift cash etc.) Paying for ANY actual item via Paypal rules requires using "Goods and Services" - F&F is for CASH ONLY and NEVER to strangers. EVER.

I'm very sorry this happened to you,

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    KE0TNL and N3AB like this.
  6. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

What are the practical differences/benefits of doing it this way?

7. W7UUU

Presumably, if Paypal refuses to refund in a suspected scam, the Credit Card companies often will offer deeper "buyer protection"

But if you use Friends & Family I doubt anyone is going to help you. Certainly not Paypal.

Dave
    W7UUU

8. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

You learned a lesson the hard way, loosing money. Bet you never pay with Friends and Family again. What is amazing is how easy it is. I would not send money to my own kids with Friends and Family.

9. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's put F&F aside. That is settled.

My curiosity has to do with using PayPal as guest instead of as a registered user. I would think that going to the credit card company is still an option regardless, last resort. By using PayPal as a guest, is the user 'waving' some of PayPal's protection?

Personally, I prefer to keep my credit card and bank accounts as far away from any of this as possible. PayPal works like a good barrier. I know, not the same for sellers, I'm speaking only as a buyer.

10. W7UUU

Good question - you'd have to dig into the "fine print" - I strongly suspect, yes - you probably waive your protections in some ways.

I had a great example of "being protected as a buyer" a few months back. I bought an old Johnson transmitter from a guy in Oregon. He insisted I use F&F and I refused. (He seemed otherwise a decent old chap so he was just trying to avoid fees). Good thing too - when the transmitter arrived it was destroyed due to ridiculously bad packing. Tubes broken, VFO dial trashed, etc. I sent photos to Paypal and they awarded a 50% refund at my discretion, or a 100% refund, seller pays return freight. I went with the partial - I can fix the transmitter. So their system really can work for a buyer.

But had I done what that seller asked, and used F&F, no way - I'd be stuck with a smashed up transmitter and he'd have the full cash.

Dave
    W7UUU

K2XT likes this.