Scammed!!!

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KE0EP, Apr 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE0EP

KE0EP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If you paid using Paypal "Goods and Services" you should have no problem getting a refund for fraud

Did you pay using "Friends and Family"? If you did, yep - you've been taken. There is no recourse if you did.

Was this something advertised here on QRZ?

Good luck

Dave
    W7UUU

3. WW1SS

WW1SS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think everyone selling or purchasing on here should be verified. You should also have to be verified to respond to an ad on here. That might cut down the scammers. I get a persons phone # and call them and chat on the phone for 10 minutes or so before buying anything on here. If they don't want to give their # See Ya. . . I also always pay with a CC via paypal as a guest . . . I don't sign into paypal so If scammed I can dispute with CC company.

4. KE0EP

KE0EP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He talked me into using Friends and Family; I had no idea it didn't offer protection. The item was listed on QRZ, QTH and EHAM.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks Elan. Very sorry to hear - I just sent you a PM with a question regarding this.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER pay with Friends and Family - unless the person is literally a friend or family member, and then only for sending cash (birthday gift cash etc.) Paying for ANY actual item via Paypal rules requires using "Goods and Services" - F&F is for CASH ONLY and NEVER to strangers. EVER.

I'm very sorry this happened to you,

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    KE0TNL and N3AB like this.
  6. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

What are the practical differences/benefits of doing it this way?

7. W7UUU

Presumably, if Paypal refuses to refund in a suspected scam, the Credit Card companies often will offer deeper "buyer protection"

But if you use Friends & Family I doubt anyone is going to help you. Certainly not Paypal.

Dave
    W7UUU

8. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

You learned a lesson the hard way, loosing money. Bet you never pay with Friends and Family again. What is amazing is how easy it is. I would not send money to my own kids with Friends and Family.

9. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's put F&F aside. That is settled.

My curiosity has to do with using PayPal as guest instead of as a registered user. I would think that going to the credit card company is still an option regardless, last resort. By using PayPal as a guest, is the user 'waving' some of PayPal's protection?

Personally, I prefer to keep my credit card and bank accounts as far away from any of this as possible. PayPal works like a good barrier. I know, not the same for sellers, I'm speaking only as a buyer.

10. W7UUU

Good question - you'd have to dig into the "fine print" - I strongly suspect, yes - you probably waive your protections in some ways.

I had a great example of "being protected as a buyer" a few months back. I bought an old Johnson transmitter from a guy in Oregon. He insisted I use F&F and I refused. (He seemed otherwise a decent old chap so he was just trying to avoid fees). Good thing too - when the transmitter arrived it was destroyed due to ridiculously bad packing. Tubes broken, VFO dial trashed, etc. I sent photos to Paypal and they awarded a 50% refund at my discretion, or a 100% refund, seller pays return freight. I went with the partial - I can fix the transmitter. So their system really can work for a buyer.

But had I done what that seller asked, and used F&F, no way - I'd be stuck with a smashed up transmitter and he'd have the full cash.

Dave
    W7UUU

K2XT likes this.