ad: elecraft

scam ??

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by WX0CW, Oct 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No problem. Some folks get into a bind and need the cash right now so offer very low prices. I am going through a house sale myself right now. Tried to liquidate most of my gear locally as I don't have the time to package and ship the gear. I'm getting down to brass tacks now and the gear must go. Offering much lower prices and shipping as this gear must go. Not advertising here, just gotta move this gear ASAP.

2. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't trust the "send me a MO and if someone else gets it first I'll send it back to you" aspect. That's not the way to sell gear online, you make a deal with someone and if that falls through, then you make a deal with the second person and ask for a MO.

KA0HCP likes this.
  3. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I hate Money Orders.

I had listed an item recently and as with all my stuff for sale, it is either Cash or Paypal.

I had someone ask if i would wait for a Money Order, reluctantly I said Okay, and then 3 days later get an email Sorry I can't come thru.

At least the person was kind enough to send a message.

I sold the item at the Nearfest Hamfest yesterday. Cash. :)

4. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think it's a scam. His postal mail address matches his FCC database address which is the address he gave for sending the money.

He told me it was sold, after I sent the money. When I asked why, he said that he doesn't trust people to do what they say. When I asked about my money he said I should trust him because he sends money orders back all the time. There's a bit of dissonance in that so I had the mail redirected back to me. Not worried about a scam so much as hving to deal with additional flakiness.

$1.20 USPS money order fee.
    $6.65 priority mail postage.
    $6.84 priority mail redirection.
    --------
    $14.69 total.

He failed to mention the first come first served money order business in his Oct 8 offer or in correspondence. Otherwise I'd have never sent the money. He owes me $14.69!

I enjoy swapping stuff. It's fun to get a new geegaw in the mail. But, crap like this takes the fun out of it.

73, -Bob ah7i/w4

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    KJ4VTH likes this.
  5. AG5DB

AG5DB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, that was pretty strange. Sent him PM and emails, only after a while he says send payment (with none of that first-come-first-served add-on). I followup with an email stating when (Wed afternoon) I'd get his payment in the mail. Sent a Cashier's Check, emailed a pic of the CC and mailing envelope, along with time that I dropped it off. Then I have to wait for the followup threads of mistrust that appear, before being notified of the first-come-first-served rule, and that I didn't make the cut. Waiting for the CC to be mailed back now. Taking time off from lunch to get it all done, that won't come back ;)

6. WX0CW

WX0CW Ham Member QRZ Page

just got this in a PM from the seller "THE (SCAM) ANTENNA ANALYZER MFJ 226 IS sold. do much got your SCAM thoughts." well I hope I was wrong but after near 40 years in LE work maybe I am just a little less trusting than I used to be. I got burned one time on a money order deal for a 2 meter radio which I never received. I use nothing but paypal anymore unless it is a face to face cash deal.

7. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Was your, lost the race, money order returned?

8. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

The is the PM I received when I followed him.

While you are following, check out some of the items I have for sale. I am selling all items. I am getting out of amateur radio. To many screwballs around. Christmas is near. You might want to pick up a deal or two. Some are scared of the low prices. They would rather pay higher price and thats alright they still get a deal. What a way to spend time. Watching. Get a hobby. Or is this your hobby? Since you have extra time on your watch...Answer a question. Do fish drink water? I never receive an answer from the others followers.

Couldn’t reply so I guess he’s ignoring me.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  9. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

He Locked the conversation so I could not respond.

10. WB6OZD

WB6OZD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am the recipient of the MFJ-226 that is in question here. I was also hesitant to do the USPS MO, but in the end, it did work out for me. I will say though that one of his e-mails to me indicated that he would need to return some MO's to others as it seems his method of deciding who gets to purchase the listed item is based on who's MO gets to him first. That's a very strange way of conducting transactions here. :( Combine that with his lack of good communication will keep me from considering any other items from him. Sorry Michael, but you really need to look at this from the buyers perspective.