Scam using my CallSign VE1JBC

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by VE1JBC, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VE1JBC

VE1JBC Ham Member

On the 16 Apr 2013 I worked a Chinese station on cw, who kept getting the last letter of my call wrong, he used Club Log & sure enough the contact was copied incorrectly. I notice that he had an e-mail address on QRZ to which I responded advising him to make the correction in his log. The following day I received an official looking email that was allegedly sent by QRZ.com stating for security reasons my password had been changed. I inadvertently inserted the new password on the QRZ.com site and that is when the trouble began. The local authorities subsequently paid me a visit to determine if I was selling radio equipment over the internet via various websites and accepting money through PayPal. Needless to say this was all news to me as I have never used the internet for commercial purposes. Although I cannot prove that the e-mail to China set the wheels of this scam in motion, it does seem a bit of a coincidence. I can only emphasize what has been posted on this site in the scams drop down menu. Do not purchase anything over the internet from someone using my call & be sure to check the heading of any e-mail that is allegedly sent representing QRZ.com.

2. N0AMT

N0AMT Platinum Subscriber

John,

Please forward the email to us at editor@qrz.com

Also, if you can research your specific mail program and get us the mail headers in an email, that would be very useful.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.