Scam to score free product? Or buyer remorse? K5WEJ...

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by K0LTZ, Jun 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K0LTZ

K0LTZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This gentleman, William Johnson, K5WEJ, responded to my ad in "Ham made items for sale". He spec'ed his items, agreed to terms which included ordering parts not in stock to fulfill. Payment was requested via PayPal. He paid. PayPal unexpectedly placed an additional hold on the funds which would delay his order. Payment refunded and requested via check instead. Agreed. Email transcripts below show the remaining information.

Frank Husnik <hampowergear@gmail.com>
    7:56 PM (1 hour ago)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to william
    [​IMG]

I'm a busy person with a family and a full time job besides this. You should have changed your mind before you mailed the check. Now you have incurred expenses on both of us for no reason. I have items I purchased for your order specifically, that I now have to return. Some items I may not be able to. You sir, have literally taken food off my table that I would be feeding my 7 and 11 year old with.
    [​IMG]

On Sat, Jun 8, 2019, 7:05 PM william johnson <wej51bj@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    Things began to sound funny when you could not receive the funds via PP?

So I blindly mail you funds. You receive funds on May 31 but a week later my check has not cleared my bank?

I text and get no reply? You tell me check at bank on Wednesday and yet it still has not cleared my bank on Friday night?

I stopped payment on check.

End of deal!

William E. Johnson

On Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 9:48:45 PM CDT, Frank Husnik <hampowergear@gmail.com> wrote:

Just got to the bank today Bill. Sorry for the delay. I have begun ordering the parts I was missing to complete your order.

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019, 9:24 PM william johnson <wej51bj@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    Frank,
    I'm not seeing the check clearing my bank?
    Text or voice mail and let me know what is up?
    Thanks,
    Bill
    K5WEJ

William E. Johnson

On Friday, May 31, 2019, 3:59:05 PM CDT, Frank Husnik <hampowergear@gmail.com> wrote:
    Hi Bill, just got it. Thank you very much. I won't be able to deposit it or order parts until Monday, just FYI.

On Fri, May 31, 2019, 3:42 PM william johnson <wej51bj@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    Frank
    Check arrive today?
    Thanks
    Bill

Sent from my iPhone

On May 30, 2019, at 6:21 AM, Frank Husnik <hampowergear@gmail.com> wrote:

Have not seen the check yet, fyi

2. WW1SS

WW1SS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You better be careful. This guy now has your routing and account number. He can now do what someone did to me . . . Go online and start paying bills with E check using your numbers on your check. I never send a personal check to anyone

3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't it the other way around?

@K0LTZ

I doubt he's trying to scam you, he changed his mind after delays depositing his check.

Did you actually not respond to his text?

Why did PP put the hold on funds?

4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe that it is a common practice when paying for goods and services between individuals.
    A couple years ago I wanted to send a friend some money so he could purchase cookie dough for me from his church fund raiser.
    Naturally, PP made me use goods and services instead of friends and family...
    I had to go to a page on PayPal and mark the transaction as completed (Merchandise received) before they would release the funds to my friend...

WR2E likes this.
  5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

So you're saying that the snafu was caused by both parties not understanding how paypal works?

KJ4VTH and AJ4GQ like this.
  6. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

It's always a possibility....
    Ymmv

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

"eye to eye folding cash" - that's what I try to stick to

I hope you can resolve your situation

Dave
    W7UUU

8. KA3BQE

KA3BQE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So none of this thread is making sense to me. I've purchased using paypal using goods and services and I do not see anywhere where I have to say "merchandise received." Is that only required for purchases over a certain amount?

WB0MPB likes this.
  9. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, what he said!

I have sent and received PayPal many times and never seen nor know that existed.

10. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes what he said. I never have and I have bought and received a lot using Paypal.