ad: cq2k-1

SCAM ALERT

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by N4URW, Mar 16, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KR2C

KR2C Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would think that most hijacks are due to the missteps of person hijacked. Don't blame the moderators for your own errors. You all need to watch your own house.

KN7S likes this.
  2. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

Boston.com (Technology) lists the TEN MOST POPULAR PASSWORDS as:

(1) password (2) 123456 (3) qwerty (4) abc123 (5) letmein (6) monkey (7) myspace1 (8) password1 (9) blink182 10 (your name).

Or, for a ham, (10) could well be (your call).

I wonder how many hams who purport to have been hacked used one of the preceeding passwords or a reasonable approximation thereof.

3. N4URW

N4URW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the moderators do a great job. In fact, one of them called me by phone to bring to my attention that someone had hijacked my account and changed my email. We just need to start creating passwords that have symbols, numbers, letters all mixed. Don't use common names and defiantly don't use your own name in your password. It is up to us (Not the moderators) to make sure we protect our sites and information.

KN7S likes this.
  4. WD5JOY

WD5JOY Ham Member QRZ Page

I gotta ask........ How? How could anyone, moderator or not look at each and every "ad" here on QRZ or any other "classified" and verify every bit of supplied information? I don't see how it's possible nor do I see it as part of their daily routine.

No matter if we are a "buyer" or a "seller" the responsibility falls on our own shoulders to be absolutely certain the "deal" is legit.

Moderators do just that - they "moderate". Suggesting they act as detectives on our behalf is asking a bit much. WE are responsible and if WE cannot or do not want to expend the effort expecting someone to do it on our behalf is a bit beyond selfish.

KN7S likes this.
  5. N4URW

N4QWK, I totally agree with you. No one can detect everyone little thing or situation on this site. Sad that it has gotten to the point where you can't trust the person you are dealing with and you have to research the seller to make sure he or she is legit. Whether I am buying on QRZ or QTH I do research the seller and check out every possible thing that I can and if any red flags, I stay away from the deal. Sad but everyone needs to do the same thing. When I an selling an item and the buyer ask for me to put my QSL card in front of the item I am selling or some other type of proof that I have the item, I will do that for him because he is just trying to make sure I am not a scammer. And the "moderators" and just that, moderators. They are not internet police and we all have to be vigilant and police our own ads as we do the ham bands.

KN7S likes this.
  6. N4QWK

N4QWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Selfish?!? I just have to ask why is scamming so prevalent on this website? Is it the fault of the people not having a good password, or is it the fault of QRZ that they can get hacked into so easy? Do people just say that I need a good password for my bank account, and then have a simple/easy password for QRZ? It doesn’t make sense. If that is the case, then yes it’s the fault of the person with the easy password. If these people have a good password and people are still getting scammed, then one has to look at the protections that QRZ has. Amateur radio operators are (generally) more honest than the average person in society, but there appears to be a high amount of scammers on this website. Just enter “scam” under the classifieds and you will see the announcements.

7. N4URW

Sorry but I meant to say WD5JOY, I totally agree with you. No one can detect everyone little thing or situation on this site. Sad that it has gotten to the point where you can't trust the person you are dealing with and you have to research the seller to make sure he or she is legit. Whether I am buying on QRZ or QTH I do research the seller and check out every possible thing that I can and if any red flags, I stay away from the deal. Sad but everyone needs to do the same thing. When I an selling an item and the buyer ask for me to put my QSL card in front of the item I am selling or some other type of proof that I have the item, I will do that for him because he is just trying to make sure I am not a scammer. And the "moderators" and just that, moderators. They are not internet police and we all have to be vigilant and police our own ads as we do the ham bands

8. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can assure you that EVERY item for sale/trade is viewed by the moderators. In my case any item over $100 is also scanned for pilfered e-mail addresses and the IP address is checked. You will find that there are very few scam offerings ever on QRZ. Once they are spotted they are put in a file for further research and are hidden from all but the QRZ staff. We also work quite closely with QTH.com to share information about scammers and potential scammers.

The problem comes when someone answers an unsolicited e-mail and doesn't verify that the sender actually has the product you are looking for or the money if you are selling an item.. There is nothing that QRZ can do in these cases except what is done here by folks reporting attempted scams in this forum.

9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

"have to ask why is scamming so prevalent on this website?"

Trust me on this, it is NOT only "this website" that has scammers!

If you research ANY site that has people buying/selling items you will find scammers. They are EVERYWHERE! Internet crime is a big problem, and it's nothing new!