Sbe-34 /Turner plus two microphone

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by N9AXL, Mar 18, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N9AXL

N9AXL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an SBE34. Looking around I see I have an old Turner plus two microphone in my junkbox. Will this work with this rig and does anyone know the wiring diagram. The Sbe manual says PTT. To tip and microphone to sleeve of the plug - which I will need to order. I'm not sure the transistorized amp in the microphone works but since the audio preamp is in the rig I guess it doesnt matter - I would just have the amp in the mic turned down to zero anyway to avoid over modulation. Or is it required the mic be powered for it to work?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The +2 has the preamp wired permanently in series with the mike, so if the battery is dead I don't think it will work at all -- you'd need to re-wire the mike internally to bypass the preamp.

The SB-34 uses a PL-068 plug (smaller than a 1/4" phone plug -- but also used on Drake, Collins and Gonset gear of the era), 3-circuit. The "tip" is the PTT (closure to ground); the "ring" is the "mike audio" and the sleeve is the ground connection for both PTT and the mike ground return.

The +2 mike cable "should be" (various generations may have changed things) "white" = mike audio; "red" = PTT' "black" = ground for both.

3. N9AXL

I see the preamp but there is no connection for a battery. I would think that if I simply wire from the switch to the mike bypassing the preamp this should work.

4. KD8HLV

KD8HLV Ham Member QRZ Page

I talk to a guy on 75 regularly that uses a turner +2 desk mic into an old Tempo one ( with VOX ), he actually sounds pretty good, put a fresh battery in it and try it that way first or you will never learn how it performs. You can always bypass it later.

5. N9AXL

there's no battery connection. I have no choice but to bypass. I see the black wire running through the preamp to the mike and the red.

6. KD8HLV

KD8HLV Ham Member QRZ Page

you see the black and red wire and cant figure out how to hook a battery to it?

I have one here somewhere I can snap a pic of the board if that would help

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  7. W4OKW

W4OKW Ham Member QRZ Page

Any low impedance dynamic mic should work. Be careful not to insert or remove the mic connector with power on the radio. The relatively high voltage on the PTT line
    will zap the transistor mic amplifier in the SB-34. I learned that the hard way and finding those germanium transistors can be an uphill climb! With the Collins mechanical
    filter in the receiver, it is a pretty nice performer. Fun little radio. 73 Tom/W4OKW