SB-220 HV and line voltage Concern

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N8PWM, Aug 19, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Cantenna that is older than I. I am the 4th owner. All previous owners used it to tune amps regularly.
    If you can find one, they are pretty flat through 6 meters & still usable at 2 meters.

Ed

KJ4NOO likes this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I smoked my Cantenna with my 8877 amp.

It only took a second. :eek:

3. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No, N8PWM did. He has a SS and a hybrid transceiver to use with the amp. He was asking about power control to run around 500 watts. My post that turned into an ellipse was about power control for the hybrid since the amp won't generate ALC at 500 watts and he only needs 40 or 50 to run the power he wants.
    Hi Craig,
    You can throttle down the hybrid with a small negative voltage applied to the ALC input of the FT-101. If you haven't heard of this and want me to expand on it, just say the word. :)

4. KJ4NOO

KJ4NOO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Cantenna that is still going strong after being used to tune up various amps including an SB-220. Just make sure that it has enough oil and it should be fine !

5. KA9JLM

If you use Chicken Oil in it, You can tell when the oil gets hot.

Kind of like smell-a-vision.

KJ4NOO likes this.
  6. N8PWM

N8PWM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I ordered a new Cantenna from MFJ last evening. Just need to hit TSC for a gallon of Mineral Oil. I did not do any further playing last night with the amp except to put it inline, check SWR with it off and cleanup the shack so the XYL does not send me away lol.
    Have plans tonight but I am going to build up the cables for the ALC and Relay to connect to the FT-101E in the morning.

I am interested to see the information on the W7RY system.

N2EY likes this.
  7. N8PWM

Yes please expand on this for me. Since the amp wont generate the ALC, could it not be controlled with the mic gain and keep it low and within the ALC on the transmitter?

8. N8PWM

Station.jpg

KJ4NOO likes this.
  9. KA9JLM

You ordered a Cantenna from MFJ ?

DXE includes the good oil.

10. N8PWM

Ya, Amazon had a good deal on it. Put it on prime.