SB-200 Damaged plate on "TUNE" capacitor

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KJ4AQU, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The SB-220 I repaired for my Ex was a bit touchy tuning...
    I use to grab the knob skirt and roll my finger along the front panel to tune it slowly.

I have to agree with Steve the cabinet is a pain to get on and off.

It does go on easy enough by placing the amplifier on it's rear panel on an older copy of the ARRL Handbook and slide the cabinet over it, line up the holes and put the feet back in.

If I ever get one the first two things I am going to do....
    Make a wiring harness for the front panel meters and controls that will unplug.
    I will also make a dummy panel with tuning holes in it for the input circuit coils.

2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing dumb there is the builder as the manual clearly has it mounted to the RF cage.

Carl

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nah, you just do that temporarily to help wire up the input switch wafer. In "final assembly," you remove that washer and nut, stick the shaft and bushing through the front (cosmetic) panel, and re-attach them on the outside, directly to the front panel. See assembly detail 4-6C.

It's dumb.

4. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey Sue? Would you be willing to fix gear for me? Yes, I know I'm not your ex, but what the hey!

5. KJ4AQU

KJ4AQU Ham Member QRZ Page

He Lou, Just FYI I won the TUNE cap on eBay. So PM me about the old one please.

Frank

6. AF6LJ

Wouldn't be the first time I fixed gear for a Zedder. :)

Sure

7. WB2WIK

Maybe you can repair a watch I have. Right now, it shows the correct time twice each day.:eek:

8. AF6LJ

:D
    Me inside of a watch, not if you want it to ever work again.

:)

9. WB2WIK

How much damage could you do? It doesn't work, now.

I know nothing about watches. This one says "Omega" on it. That's the last letter of the Greek alphabet.

I think they were trying to tell me something.

I remember attending the Dayton Hamvention in about '87 or so (I think) when Jean Shepard K2ORS was the guest speaker at the banquet and he was very funny. He said he never had any luck in ham radio, everything was always against him; but he bought a brand new rig, a Kenwood TS-440S so maybe now his luck would change.

Then he said (no kidding), "Hmmmm. 'TS.' Maybe they're trying to tell me something."

And he walked off the stage with that, to a standing ovation.

10. KA5S

KA5S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone suggested buffing the damaged area smooth then applying anti-corona dope (or clear nail polish)?

Cortland
    KA5S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.