Sat QSO Logging Uplink or Downlink Freq?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by M3OVA, Apr 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. M3OVA

M3OVA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Fellow "Bird" Watchers,

I have been really getting into this side of our wonderful hobby and have a spot on working setup now.
    My question is, and I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but when it comes to the Logging of a Satellite QSO the only issue i am having is some people Log the Uplink Freq (Band) and then some Log the Downlink Freq (Band). When it comes to LoTW I see they want the Uplink Freq (Band) so all that's fine. But other awards like eQSL and QRZ I'm still getting conflicts with others as to what to log to confirm the QSO.
    The odd few of late I've tried the TQSL method of uploading the actual QSO so adding the TX and RX Freq as I'm working the passes Live and using SatPC32 to control Radio and Rotor. Main logging program has been HRD V6 but don't like the Tracking as it does'nt flip the Antenna's. Also have a Mac with MacDoppler and MacLoggerDX which to be fair have'nt used much since getting thing's running smoothly.

So here's to all you Regular and Experienced Satellite Operators out there, What's The Story?

Is It Uplink Freq (Band)
    or
    Is It Dowlink Freq (Band)

Kindest Regards Tony ( M3OVA )

2. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

If you only log thing related to working satellites, it's the uplink band. LOTW - and maybe others, especially if they link into LOTW - can handle listing both the uplink and downlink bands (and, optionally, frequencies).

For LOTW, the fields that must be in your ADIF file to make a satellite QSO are detailed at:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/LoTW Instructions/N5JB.pdf

Seven fields are mandatory for LOTW:

• CALL
    • QSO_DATE
    • TIME_ON
    • BAND
    • MODE
    • PROP_MODE (this is always set to SAT)
    • SAT_NAME

The SAT_NAME field uses a list maintained by ARRL, which is contained in the configuration used in the TQSL program. Three other fields are optional, but make for a more complete QSO record:

• FREQ
    • BAND_RX
    • FREQ_RX

Good luck, and 73!

N1PEB, W5SAT and M3OVA like this.
  3. M3OVA

M3OVA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,

Thanks for the quick responce to my question and to clear things up for me.
    Yeah I have read the N5JB LoTW Instructions before and that's what pointed me in the right direction after getting a couple of my 1st QSL's unconfirmed and I wondered why.
    The two main one's was the PROP_MODE and SAT_NAME which is understandable.
    But all is going smoothly, Until the odd few start putting the DownLink Freq and swear by it. I try to say maybe it's a little mistake they overlooked but I get the responce that I'm wrong.
    So to get the confirmation I change my Logbook entry to the RX Freq, oh well.
    Maybe bringing this up some may look and think.
    But if they are chasing LoTW Awards surely they would of had a few rejected and then realise the issue's???

Anyway Thanks Again for the responce and if anyone else wants to comment by all means do hi hi..............

Good Luck, Many DX, 73

4. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Traditionally, it is ideal to log both uplink and downlink for satellite QSOs. For LOTW, uplink band is the only mandatory item related to a QSO and where you operated. Anyone who claims otherwise is wrong, and probably has more QSOs that will never be confirmed. I don't know how the other systems handle satellite QSOs, but using the ADIF fields as listed above in log files should make it a little clearer - any field with "_RX" relates to the downlink, and those without "_RX" are for the uplink.

73!

M3OVA likes this.